Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the hell are we making micro black holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You got it - that's how it played out.

Speaking of Earth, you might be interested in my SDMB thread in regards to a discussion I had about the novel here in Knoxville. Warning: The SDMB is pretty slow right now, so you might want to open in a new window and browse other stuff while waiting for it to load.
    Last edited by JohnT; August 25, 2003, 17:39.

Comment

Hehe... Am I the only one who misses IntgrSpin?
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
          No.
          But where is he? Maybe he got sucked in into one of his self induced black holes?
          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
          And notifying the next of kin
          Once again...

Comment

anyone read Cosm?

Comment

or maybe he got caught stealing gold that was meant to be turned into ions and accelerated to 99.99999996% c...

Comment

Vesayen
                Learning is the essence of humanity. If we were to put anything above curiosity, then we'd ruin the whole human experience.
                YOU KILL EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THE ENTIRE PLANET IN A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE DEATH!!!!!!
                Actually it wouldn't be that painful...most black holes will kill ya before you even notice it. They have to become REALLY large for you to spend time getting from the event horizon to the center, IIRC. So a "horrible, horrible" death is inaccurate, although a death is correct (unless you have some sci-fi black hole shield.)

In addition, a couple of the sci-fi theories that border on just being a nut include you popping up intact at another place far out in the universe, or your particles being used to build a new universe when the black hole tears off the space time field. (I think.) So, you can't say it doesn't have its charitable advantages.

geeslaka
                Yes JohnT, I have. I don't have the book in front of me but IIRC, protesters surrounded the university and cut the power lines, causing the black hole to be dropped.
                If the black hole dropped due to a scientific failure, then for the 1/8th of a second I could live before it sucked me up, then I wouldn't mind too much. If it dropped because some dickheads cut power, now, THEN I'd be pissed. (For the 1/8th second.)

These sites would have backup generators though, wouldn't they?
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

If the black hole dropped due to a scientific failure, then for the 1/8th of a second I could live before it sucked me up, then I wouldn't mind too much. If it dropped because some dickheads cut power, now, THEN I'd be pissed. (For the 1/8th second.)
                  Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how this "black hole" would be instant death if the field failed. There's no way they have the ability in some lab to create enough mass in a black hole to generate the gravity that would be needed to kill everyone instantly. I mean, we're talking about something several powers more massive than the earth to kill everyone right away. I think the black holes they're making only consist of a few particles and while they may be super dense, they can't be very massive.
                  "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike

Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how this "black hole" would be instant death if the field failed. There's no way they have the ability in some lab to create enough mass in a black hole to generate the gravity that would be needed to kill everyone instantly. I mean, we're talking about something several powers more massive than the earth to kill everyone right away. I think the black holes they're making only consist of a few particles and while they may be super dense, they can't be very massive.
                    Good point. I guess it either takes longer to kill us all, or just goes through us then. Hopefully they aren't making any big ones
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

They can't make any big ones, they don't have enough matter.

A small one would go through you, but it would leave a trail of destroyed cells.
                      American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                      I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                      Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                      XGalaga.

Comment

Microbrewed black holes have a smoother and less metallic taste. There's love in every batch. Plus you support privately owned small business every time you buy one.
                        You don't want your tongue sucked into another dimension by just any ol' spatial anomaly, do you?
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

Good point. I guess it either takes longer to kill us all, or just goes through us then. Hopefully they aren't making any big ones
                          Not only do the ones you're describing not have enough mass to kill us all instantly, they are also going to evaporate long before they can kill us all eventually.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The chance of WW3 breaking out and everyone dying as thousans of nukes go off are much bigger, you better worry about that.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

A black hole doesn't "suck" anything. Gravity is a weak force. A microscopic black hole (if they ever made one, which I doubt) has only the gravity of the tiny clump of atoms they made it from. Microscopic ones also evaporate faster than they can accumulate mass even if they did come into contact with matter they could "suck in."
                              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike

[Minor Earth Spoilers]

In the novel, the micro black hole was originally projected to fizzle out within a few months, even if it did manage to eat some particles. But its gravity dislodged another micro black hole that was in the Earth's center (for reasons that I won't go into as it is not a minor spoiler) and the second black hole was an unusually stable one, one that wouldn't "dissolve" and break up. This was the black hole that threatens Earth in the novel, not the one that the humans made.

Btw, you would more than likely die because of the progressively violent electrical storms and earthquakes that will occur in the week or two before the Earth is swallowed.

Comment

Working...
                                X