"Deregulation increased the vulnerability of the grid to failure"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sava -
    I did no such thing. I don't know where you got this idea... And despite your selective reading, I've consistently labeled Clinton as de-reg friendly.
    The last thread you started blaming Bush and the GOP. I've never seen you start a thread accusing Clinton or Davis of being responsible, so telling us you've "labelled" Clinton while your threads consistently blame Republicans shows a bias.

Comment

Quo usque tandem abutere, Sava, patientia nostra? Quam diu etiam furor iste tuus nos eludet? Quem ad finem sese effrenata jactabit audacia?
      Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; August 26, 2003, 15:20.
      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Hey Look! Your ink ran.
        Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Just came acorss this while working on another topic.

edit: OK, why doesnt this display as a graphic?
          Attached Files
          Old posters never die.
          They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

AS: I think it has to be a .jpg or .gif file to display as a graphic.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Was Italy's blackout caused by deregulation?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I don't know if deregulation caused it, but I'm sure Bush is involved somehow, that unelected bastard.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

can't find the other blackout thread.

Well maybe de-regulation did cause the blackout

These companies are cutting costs and neglected to trim trees near the power lines.

Comment

Re: Re: "Deregulation increased the vulnerability of the grid to failure"

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                    The "deregulation" aspect is complete nonsense. To blame "deregulation" for transmission system issues is either complete ignorance or complete fabrication to suit an agenda. You can ***** about supply issues and market issues, rightly or wrongly, but not transmission system issues, for one very simple reason:

Restructuring, (, Gorbachev called it that too, but as usual, the bureaucrats and vested interests have to sabotage it to preserve their status), which is what it's called in the industry, has never addressed transmission or distribution system ownership, control, or rate issues with the sole exception of creating open access.
                    I can't see how they can be completely separate issues. Deregulation generally causes a contiual shrinkage of margins. Therefore, the generators cannot afford to pay a premium on transmission prices, thus exerting a downward pressure, forcing these to cut their costs too.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Industry critics have cited deregulation of the nation's power industry for cost-cutting by utilities to boost profits. The maintenance, or tree-trimming, budget is often a target.

"It's one of the things that can get moved around in a budget," said Clark Gellings, a power grid expert with the Electric Power Research Institute, an industry-funded group based in California.

"Your boss tells you to cut 10 percent from this year's budget because things aren't looking very good, and so you look around and say, well maybe we'll delay this," Gellings said, describing industry-wide utility practices.

Nothing like mere supposition without any supporting evidence to put in a "news" article!

Comment

they are only reporting what the critics are saying. The news isn't saying that themselves.

Comment

Frankly, "what critics say" is never news in and of itself, though it gets fobbed off as such all too often.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Sounds more like a lack of adequate black start capability, or synchronization problems. What's your approximate mix of generator types, or are you primarily importers of hydro from other parts of Canada?
                            IIRC, most of the electricity in Ontario is hydro-electric or nuclear. It was the nuke plants that took time to get back on-line.
                            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Yeah - they're extremely slow to get back online from a full shutdown.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

When things go wrong under a regulated system, they will say that they would have worked under a deregulated system. When things go wrong under a deregulated system, they will say that it would have been much worse under a regulated system...

I don't trust anyone.
                                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                                Drake Tungsten
                                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                                Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                                X