Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's most expensive City

Wow! I never would have guessed.

MSNBC breaking news and the latest news for today. Get daily news from local news reporters and world news updates with live audio & video from our team.

OSLO, Norway, Aug. 22 — Nothing here is free — even a trip to a public toilet costs $1.32. No surprise, then, that a new survey gives Oslo the dubious distinction of being the world’s most expensive city.

THE LIST OF high-priced places by Swiss banking giant UBS says Oslo has overtaken Tokyo as the costliest place to live. Tokyo is now third on the list — dropping from first place in 2000, when the survey was last done. Hong Kong was second on the list and New York fourth.
    UBS cited deflation and the depreciation of the Japanese yen as part of the reason that prices in Tokyo have come down. Meanwhile, the Norwegian kroner has appreciated — and many people here feel the effects.
    A three-minute bus ride costs $2.64 when buying tickets in advance — but $3.97 to hop on at the last minute. The price of gasoline is $4.89 per gallon. A no-frills hamburger averages $5.95. The kebab, usually a little cheaper, has become the fast food of choice for many.

fact file
    Most expensive cities

The costliest places to live around the world

1. Oslo, Norway

2. Hong Kong

3. Tokyo

4. New York

5. Zurich, Switzerland

6. Copenhagen, Denmark

7. London

8. Basel, Switzerland

9. Chicago

10. Geneva

Source: UBS Survey

A pint of domestic beer at a downtown bar can cost $6.88. Expensive, but worth it, to some.
    “I drink beer to forget what it costs me to pick up and deliver appliances,” said Jan Berg, a 38-year-old appliance repairman from Oslo. He earns $43,630 a year — just above the average yearly salary of $40,986. Relatively high salaries here lessen the sting of the cost of living — but not by much. Berg said he lives in a modest apartment atop a pizzeria.
    “I don’t live well, believe me,” he said.
    Tor Steig, chief economist for the Confederation of Norwegian Business and Industry, said Oslo was riding a five-year wage boom, one of a number of factors making the city expensive. The Norwegian minimum wage is $8.59 an hour. The hourly federal minimum wage in the United States is $5.15.
    Advertisement

After New York, the UBS survey said the most expensive cities were Zurich, Switzerland; Copenhagen, Denmark; London; Basel, Switzerland; Chicago; and Geneva. The cheapest of the 70 ranked cities were Buenos Aires, Argentina; and Mumbai, India.
    The bank’s “Prices and Earnings” analysis compares incomes and the cost of living based on the cost of a basket of 111 goods and services. It said that the Swiss cities of Zurich, Geneva and Basel had the highest purchasing power, followed by Los Angeles and Luxembourg.
    The survey said people in Miami, Los Angeles and Chicago needed to work just 10 minutes to earn enough to buy a Big Mac from a McDonald’s restaurant. That compared to three hours, five minutes for a worker in Nairobi, Kenya
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

housing is what makes NYC so expensive. When it comes to transport and food, you can find lots of cheap alternatives. I easily find meals for under $10. Also, leave Manhattan and costs go down significantly.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

YES! I guessed right when I only saw the topic!
      WoohoO!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
        housing is what makes NYC so expensive. When it comes to transport and food, you can find lots of cheap alternatives. I easily find meals for under $10. Also, leave Manhattan and costs go down significantly.
        I wonder if when they rate NY if they are just rating Manhattan. Hmmm.

I was also interested to see the minimum wage at $8.59. Is labor scarce? It says that Oslo has been in a boom. Wonder if construction and population influx will make it cheaper per capita.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Well, prices are expansive in Norway in general. I was shocked that everything was so costly when I went there
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yes.. Norway is _expensive_.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yes Pekka. When prices get expansive, then places get expensive.

Comment

why is it expensive though?
                Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
                So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
                rocking on everest

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO

I wonder if when they rate NY if they are just rating Manhattan. Hmmm.
                  Possibly: Staten Island is certainly not more expensive than say conneticutt or NJ (fine, comapred to parts of the US all these are expensive but still), and the Bronx isn;t either. But as i said, housing costs are immense: you see studio apartments in Manhattan advertised for 700-900 dollars a month! Food and entertainment can be costly if you stick to trendy places. if you go to mom and op places, immigrant restaurants and s forth, things are OK.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's not possible that Hong Kong is more expensive than Tokyo.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      It's not possible that Hong Kong is more expensive than Tokyo.
                      I am equally puzzled. That just does not seem possible.
                      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Possibly: Staten Island is certainly not more expensive than say conneticutt or NJ (fine, comapred to parts of the US all these are expensive but still)
                        Hmmmm, didn't find Connecticut to be too much more expensive than Maine, but then you get huge regional variation in both places....
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Davinator
                          why is it expensive though?
                          Complete lack of cheap labour. Norway may well be the only country in the world that just doesn't have low-salary, intensive jobs that cheap services are built on. Travelling through norway you're constantly surprised by how few small shops there are, how few service employees you see, how few restaurants, cafés, in-town bakeries that the wage-level can sustain. This has the consequence of not jsut making everything more expensive, but also that it's difficult socially for a poorer class to develop- there's not the same demand for cheap store chains etc. as you'd see in a country with a more significant working class, and just as there are no cheap labourers it becomes impossible for cheap labour to develop, as they couldn't make a decent living.

I think it's a small price to pay.
                          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Its all relativ. Absolute Numbers means nothing. If everyone gets 10times the money they get now, the poor are still poor...
                            If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

I would like to see what they put in their 'basket' for different places. Obviously the goods you can buy in Geneva will be different from the goods you buy in Tokyo.

I live in Geneva, and I really don't find it that expensive - certainly not No 10 in the world. I suspect UBS may be filling their Geneve basket with foie gras, scottish salmon and oysters.

A word of warning: UBS are crap (I know - I bank there).

Comment

Working...
                              X