X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YUGO's comin back

I thought I would never live to see the day. Almost brings a tear to my eye

New Yugo's set launch in 2005

I laughed when I first saw them in the 80's. Actually they were really cheap then. Like 2000-3000 dollars (you got what you paid for and they sold very well among us youngsters :P.). A few even made it over 100,000 miles.

Think they have a chance? The market is tough now, but you think Yugo could compete with its Korean adversaries for the US compact car market?

Is this the car that you get in and everyone starts ethnic cleansing each other ?
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I had a friend that had one. Absolutely the worst vehicle I ever rode in.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

ya it was kind of rough. Not to mention all those engine problems and servicing issue's they had back then.

Other than like a layer of aluminum, 4 tires and a wimpy 2-4 cycle engine. I cant think of anything about those cars. I remember there being a "Low gas" light cause there wasnt a gas gauge.

Comment

I will say that he had fun with the car though. He ran the piss out of it and didn't care. I think it cost $1999 at the time. A disposable car! Not a bad idea.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

No gas gauge?!?!?
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Hey, gas guages are expensive, man!
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

same with my expierence. Wasnt a bad car for the price it wasnt the best ride, but it did get him places. Even tho we laughed, it looked better than some of the Volvo's and Toyota's (tercel) of the day. Im thinking good for the Yugo. I say, if they can make a better and cheaper car than those Hyundai/Kia hucksters i wish them much luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                  No gas gauge?!?!?
                  not that i remember no. Just the light i mentioned

Comment

How bad was the acceleration and gas milage on those things?

Comment

Remeber the Yugo was just a copy of a 20 year old Fiat design when it was introduced in the early 1980s. They just switched the Italian engine for a commie engine and sold it for like $2500 new.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                        omg. This is the kind he had.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...tree=Yugo%20GV
                        That dude put a thumping system in there.

Comment

Ofcourse there was/is a gas gauge. It is just that is is unreliable

Cars exported to USA were the best equipped models

More crappy cars were sold domesticaly, but every now and then someone would get a hold of 'export car' to the envy of fellow yugo owners. There are still many of them around. The main advantage is spare parts are very cheap.

Cars do not get a very good mileage compared to nowadays cars, but I bet they were acceptable in their age. Lets say 15lit/100km on average?

I don't think they can make it nowadays if they produce their own car. I predicted a kind of Skoda model before, wolkswagen or someone else buying the whole factory and then using it to assemble a cheaper model of their cars.

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                            omg. This is the kind he had.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...tree=Yugo%20GV
                            The only problem with that is that the car shakes apart the second you turn the sound system on.
                            "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Working...
                            X