Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official! The world's funniest joke!

This in from CNN:

LONDON, England -- The world's funniest joke has been revealed after a year-long search by scientists.
    In an experiment conducted in Britain, people around the world were invited to judge jokes on an Internet site as well as contribute their own.
    The LaughLab research, carried out by psychologist Dr. Richard Wiseman, from the University of Hertfordshire, attracted more than 40,000 jokes and almost two million ratings.
    And here it is...

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy takes out his phone and calls the emergency services.
    He gasps: "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says: "Calm down, I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gunshot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says: "OK, now what?"

Wiseman said the joke worked across many different countries and appealed to men and women and young and old alike.
    "Many of the jokes submitted received higher ratings from certain groups of people, but this one had real universal appeal," he said.
    As well as identifying the joke which appealed most to people around the world, the experiment revealed wide humour differences between nations.
    People logging onto the LaughLab Web site were invited to rate jokes using a "Giggleometer" which had a five-point scale ranging from "not very funny" to "very funny".
    One intriguing result was that Germans -- not renowned for their sense of humour -- found just about everything funny and did not express a strong preference for any type of joke. (Full story)
    People from the Republic of Ireland, the UK, Australia and New Zealand most enjoyed jokes involving word plays.
    Many European countries, such as France, Denmark and Belgium, displayed a penchant for off-beat surreal humour, while Americans and Canadians preferred jokes where there was a strong sense of superiority -- either because a character looks stupid or is made to look stupid by someone else.
    Europeans also enjoyed jokes that involved making light of topics that make people feel anxious, such as death, illness and marriage.
    Wiseman said: "These results are really interesting. It suggests that people from different parts of the world have fundamentally different senses of humour.
    "Humour is vital to communication and the more we understand about how people's culture and background affect their sense of humour, the more we will be able to communicate effectively.
    "Also, we find jokes funny for lots of different reasons. They sometimes make us feel superior to others, reduce the emotional impact of anxiety-provoking situations or surprise us because of some kind of incongruity.
    "The hunters joke contained all three elements."
    Bizarrely, computer analysis of the data also showed that jokes containing 103 words were thought to be especially funny. The winning "hunters" joke was 102 words long. (An abbreviated version was told in this story.)
    Many jokes submitted contained references to animals. Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny.
    Now it made me giggle, and yeah it is funny. But the best jokes (or ones that make me laugh the most) are usually sexist, racist, deal with death and bigotry to every kind of person on the planet. (Not that I condone these things but hey, I make fun of staright nerdy white boys like me too!)

Seriously though, this investigation sounds kinds flawed. Scientific method anybody?

NB: This thread is NOT for all you comedians to tell your sordid jokes!!! This is to discuss the science of a joke.

Ehh, it was ok.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I think that all this research proves is that you can't really apply scientific method to this sort of subject.
      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

How can it be funny without containing the phrase "Weasels are chomping on my privates" at least once?

In fact, there is no reference to genitalia at all. This is unforgiveable.
        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

stefu, what if the guy was shot in the balls? didn't think of that did you?

Comment

I read about this a long time ago. About a year ago or so. Old stuff.

Comment

This scientific study was sabotaged by the Germans as proven by the following quote :

One intriguing result was that Germans found just about everything funny and did not express a strong preference for any type of joke.
              Statistical anomaly.
              The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Well it doesn't say he was shot in the balls, now does it?
                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

The Germans were just obsessed by pretending having a sense of humour
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yeah, this was from last October, and there was a thread here about it. But I still like that joke.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

How do you make a Dutchman laugh in August?

You hold a joke contest the previous year!
                        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

That can't be the world's funniest joke. If it was we'd all be dead from laughing, like in Monty Python.

Comment

Somehow, I don't think being dead would prevent any of us from posting here.
                            American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                            I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                            Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                            XGalaga.

Comment

True.

New, improved 'Poly! More addictive than ever!

Comment

Working...
                              X