Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop Connection

How do I get this to work?

I've got a network with about 6 computers running on it, and I want to use RDC to connect to mine (running XP Pro) and my mum's (running 98) from our spanking new one (also running XP Pro). Now, RDC is, AFAIK, already setup on both the XP machines, and I'm aware of how to install it on 98 (I'm guessing you use the option on the XP CD, under "Additional Tasks" to do it). However, having tried it out beforehand, I noticed that it comes up with the same error every time I try to make a connection - "The domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers".

How do I go about making one of my computers a "Terminal server", so I can get this all sorted out?
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

You pay $$$ for Terminal Server, see?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I've only tried this on XP => XP

Have you maked sure your remote computers are set to accept RDCs? And I think you should also set the new computer to be able to send RDCs

You can do this in System properties (in WinXP)
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Btw, you have to make sure you select a user in system properties for the remote computer... And this user has to use a PW to login to Windows (You can't use a user who doesn't have any PW)

Hope this helps
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

$ ssh -X user@host

(yeah, I know, this joke is getting a bit old...)
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

to Ari.
            American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
            I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
            Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
            XGalaga.

Comment

That's not "remote" if the Wintel box is on the LAN. LAN, well, is local, right?
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Local in this sense implies the computer you're on.

Yay for common sense.

*psst* DirectX thread...
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Remote Desktop Connection

Paul,

You can use VNC Server on all of your platforms. You can then either access the remote machines through the VNC viewer or through a web browser:

And if you aren't going to help him be quiet Linux Geeks.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Imagine what this forum would be like if there was a "don't post if you can't help" rule....
                    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                    XGalaga.

Comment

Thanks Ted.
                      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        Local in this sense implies the computer you're on.

Yay for common sense.
                        Something that you lack.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          That's not "remote" if the Wintel box is on the LAN. LAN, well, is local, right?
                          Look at it this way (this example is *nix-centric, sorry - I don't know enough about the Windows architecture to express it in the terms of that OS): X11 clients' connections to the server go, in most normal cases, through UNIX domain sockets (*) if the server and the client are running on the same machine, and through the TCP/IP stack if they aren't. So there's clearly a difference, and it makes sense to call the first case "local" and the second "remote". More to the point, as long as there are no firewalls or unreliable connections between the client and the server, applications don't see any difference between a LAN and any different sort of connection. Well, bandwidth and latencies might change, but all that affects on the application level is how long your read()s block.

(*) in other words, memcpy()
                          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Something that you lack.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                            X