Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockin' on without Microsoft

Click here

Way to go Sterling ball! That's the spirit!
    HAVE A DAY.
    <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
    "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
    For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Nice.

I think M$ pissed off a lot of companies back then. I'll keep buying on buying Ernie Ball guitar strings.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Threads with just a link and no decent explanation make baby jesus cry.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Sweet, a guitar-stringe maker talking about computers.

It is possible to "rock on" without Microsoft, just like it's possible to live without a car and to not wear underwear, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. Aside from this, where they're obviously going for the rebellious PR angle which is why they somehow managed an interview with a tech site. Good PR move, I suppose, for a company who makes guitar strings...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He's a business man talking about saving money.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

The article talks about how he was a software pirate as a business, I really don't think he's in any position to be talking about running a business.

He's just bitter that his ass got busted with proprietary software, and now he's stuck with open source.

Clearly he doesn't think the open source software is better, just not MS. Which fits the mindset of so many misguided people.
            Humiliated by the experience, Ball told his IT department he wanted Microsoft products out of his business within six months. "I said, 'I don't care if we have to buy 10,000 abacuses,'"

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Sweet, a guitar-stringe maker talking about computers.

It is possible to "rock on" without Microsoft, just like it's possible to live without a car and to not wear underwear, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. Aside from this, where they're obviously going for the rebellious PR angle which is why they somehow managed an interview with a tech site. Good PR move, I suppose, for a company who makes guitar strings...
              At least his products won't be eaten by worms.

Comment

The abacuses might be, though, so I'm not too sure he's up on the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                  At least his products won't be eaten by worms.
                  Welcome to the world of the false sense of security...

The following are all Linux worms, mostly unplublicised because newspapers, etc. tend to only publish MS vulnerabilities because MS is more important to the world than Linux:

Comment

Oh, and [insert joke about Apple's being eaten by worms here].

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      The article talks about how he was a software pirate as a business, I really don't think he's in any position to be talking about running a business.
                      Nah, they just had a few unlicenced copies, that's normally down to not keeping track of what you have licences for or what you've got installed. Almost all companies don't keep track of licences properly. I reckon most companies would fail an audit. He wasn't bothered about that anyway I don't think, I think it was them putting him on TV that was the problem.

You are right that that's not a justifiable business reason to change but it seems from the article that it's saved them money.

We run Linux and Windows machines here depending on what they are for. File server is windows based, web servers etc are Linux.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Microserf, but he doesn't make Linux. He makes guitar strings. Do they teach reading in Redmond?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                          Thanks for the heads up, Microserf, but he doesn't make Linux. He makes guitar strings. Do they teach reading in Redmond?
                          I'm sure they do, but look closely at what you wrote and the context of this thread.

I thought you meant "his products" as in the open source ones he was talking about that he used...

I didn't realize your post was a joke, simply because it wasn't even close to being funny.
                          Last edited by Asher; August 20, 2003, 10:05.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                            Nah, they just had a few unlicenced copies, that's normally down to not keeping track of what you have licences for or what you've got installed.
                            How that happens is you copy CDs and install Windows with the same key on more than one. That's pretty intentional IMO...

They aren't big enough to quality for a corporate licensing scheme.

Comment

You typically only get one set of CDs no matter how many licences you buy. We get the M$ office software pack thingy and we just get a box of disks every so often even though it comes with multiple desktop/server/office licences.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X