Study: 9/11-Style Attack on U.S. Likely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study: 9/11-Style Attack on U.S. Likely

Many from the ACS think-tank have expressed opinion, this from some, more in the know.

1 hour, 1 minute ago
    By AUDREY WOODS, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - Another Sept. 11-style terrorism attack is "highly likely" in the United States, which ranks fourth in an index assessing the risk to 186 countries, a research company said Sunday.

The London-based World Markets Research Center ranked Colombia, Israel, Pakistan, the United States and the Philippines, in descending order, as the five countries most likely to be targeted in a terrorist attack in the next 12 months, Guy Dunn, author of the company's World Terrorism Index, said in a telephone interview.

The goal of the index, to be published Monday, is to assess the risk of terrorism in 186 countries and, "crucially, against those countries' interests abroad over the next 12 months," he said.

Five criteria were used: motivation of terrorists, the presence of terror groups, the scale and frequency of past attacks, efficacy of the groups in carrying out attacks, and prevention — how many attacks have been thwarted by the country.

The categories were weighted differently; for example 40 percent for motivation and 10 percent for prevention.

"Another Sept. 11-style terrorist attack in the United States is highly likely," the report states. "Networks of militant Islamist groups are less extensive in the U.S. than they are in Western Europe, but U.S.-led military action in Afghanistan (news - web sites) and Iraq (news - web sites) has exacerbated anti-U.S. sentiment."

In terms of motivation, Dunn said, "the United States, as a global superpower, is considered a legitimate, high-profile target." But in terms of presence of terrorist cells, the United States has relatively few, "although it is probably the most open society in the world," he said.

Terrorists also consider U.S. interests in other countries legitimate political targets, he said.

The company, specializing in country risk, has hundreds of clients in 45 nations. Approximately 80 percent are multinational companies and banks, Dunn said. The remaining 20 percent are mostly governments, but also universities and charities. Foreign Ministries, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development are among them.

Terrorism has moved from being a peripheral threat before Sept. 11 2001, to being a key risk to business, Dunn said. It is no longer isolated in the targeted countries, he said, giving the example of the Irish Republican Army (news - web sites)'s attacks limited to the United Kingdom.

In a survey of the clients, 72 percent said they considered terrorism when making international location decisions, he said.

"What changed with 9-11 was that the threat was internationalized. .... All countries were at some risk. In essence terrorism has become a key risk to business. Companies have to take a much more specific interest in terrorism," Dunn said.

The index is intended to help clients "put their own assumptions into perspective," he said.

The countries listed sixth through ninth are Afghanistan, Indonesia, Iraq and India. Sri Lanka and the United Kingdom are tied for 10th place, he said.

The report says the country least likely to be attacked by terrorists is North Korea (news - web sites), Dunn said. (No****??)

"It may have be on the 'Axis of Evil,' but this is about terrorist attacks on its soil," and repression practiced by the Pyongyang government hinders terrorism, Dunn said.

Iceland is next-to-last at 185, and Andorra, Belarus, Liechtenstein and Slovenia are tied for places 181-184, Dunn said.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

What exactly constitutes a "9/11 style" attack?
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

There's only been one, Einstein. Figure it out.
      Guessing they mean hundreds upon hundreds of civilians. Not particularly with airplanes though.
      I was surprised Colombia was number 1.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Hm, NK last? I expect there would be some rebels in that ****hole... No Radicals? Cant be...
        If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

I was surprised Colombia was number 1 too Slowwhand - why the hell is Israel so low down.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            There's only been one, Einstein. Figure it out.
            Guessing they mean hundreds upon hundreds of civilians. Not particularly with airplanes though.
            I was surprised Colombia was number 1.
            Well, since there's only been one, Sir Isaac, I guess they can kind of define the "style" to suit themselves. Great study technique - the ability to make your prediction accurate because it's so vague that you get to decide what facts fit your prediction after you make it.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

With Israel, it's just another day at the office.

Comment

So what does this say? That the US is the fourth most likely country in the world to be the victim of a major terrorist attack in the next year?

This sounds like good news to me....
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

How are the probabilities distributed?
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

All I know is what the article says.
                    I'm not Kreskin, like Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      I'm not Kreskin, like Michael.
                      Ed: "You ARE CORRECT!! HA HA HO HO HO"
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I don't really see a 9/11 style attack happening.

At best (well actually worst) I predict only a few hundred deaths in the next major terrorist attack.

Comment

Haven't been to Israel, but at least in Colombia you don't see all those suicide bombers willing to blow up restaurants and buses full of people (they just blow up cars or houses with a random number of people nearby, and just don't do it as often)...the guys who did the rankings must have quite a wide definition of terrorism. Still, Colombia would definitely be in the "top 3" in any case.

And btw, I don't think the US should be that high on the list either....as "9-11 style" attacks seem awfully unlikely. Guess the "Irak style" attacks take the bulk of the blame...
                          DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

The methodology is quite obscure... How do they measure "otivation" ? Do they interview terrorists, or do they only guees because of press communications ? Their figure for "prevention" comes from the amount of attacks prevented ? Is the intensity of these attacks assessed or not ? Is it assessed whether they are terrorist or typically criminal ?

And even with this methodology, how could they measure whether an attack is likely or not ? I can understand they make comparative studies, but an absolute probability sounds stupid to me...
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              I don't really see a 9/11 style attack happening.

At best (well actually worst) I predict only a few hundred deaths in the next major terrorist attack.
                              I agree. You'd think they'd have implemented even the most basic security to keep another 9/11 from happening. (locks on cockpit doors, for instance )

Although I hear many airlines have lots of open traffic still between cockpit and cabin.
                              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X