First Danish casualty in Iraq conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Danish casualty in Iraq conflict

So, now our participation in the "Coalition if Willing" has cost the first Danish soldier his life. Apparently a group of Danish troops were on patrol yesterday, when they stopped a suspicious looking truck. A firefight then erupted, in which the soldier and two Iraqis were killed. Six Iraqis were arrested.

Now I wonder...why the heck didn't they kill them all, instead of arresting them. Why bother taking them in?

If it were me, with my comrade lying dead on the ground, it sure wouldn't take me long time to put my rifle on automatic, and start sprayin' them bullets.

That's probably why I'm not in Iraq, though

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

we, and by we i mean the civilized western world, take the moral high road. we take prisioners. we try to be humane. and it gets us nowhere.

sure, we feel better about ourselves when the day is done, but what do we get? we get enemies who seem barbaric, and will do anything to take pot shots, which in turn leads to the general failure of operations due to public opinion shift (case in point, nam).

we also get torn to pieces whenever he have to do something that seems barbaric, like beat the hell out of some guy for information, or bomb missle silos near a residential village.

it's pure and utter bullsh!t.

oh, and this loss saddens me, but i am proud that the danes are with us on such a historic mission
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Apparently the Danish soldiers spotted a group of nine Iraqis, stealing powerlines near the road. Supposedly powerline-stealing is pretty big in the area around Basra.

Think about it. Get yourself killed, trying to stop a guy stealing powerlines

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

We take prisoners for the potential intel benefit. You can't interrogate the dead.

Although, frankly, if the Danes had hosed those bastards (the trick is to not give them enough time to get their hands up), and hung the bodies upside down to rot from the powerlines they stole pour encourager les outres, I wouldn't have got bent out of shape.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

If at any point the 6 Iraqis gave up, or the Danes overwhlemed them and got control of them, then they have to take them as prisoners legally.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hence my clarification about how to avoid that "problem."
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

GePap: I know, I know. It's just, you know, frustrating. Especially when you think about the crime that was being perpetrated.

But yeah: I'm pro human rights, rules of engagement and all that stuff. The world wouldn't function without them.

Asmodean

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                Hence my clarification about how to avoid that "problem."

If a local Iraqi court wants to behead the men, fine, but if the danes go kill guys who were trying to give up and local family members find out, you porbably have more trouble with revenge seekers. The immidiate emotional satisfaction ain't worth it.

Comment

Thieves don't get much sympathy.

Besides, who's talking revenge? I'm just talking setting up fields of fire and deploying in such a way that if one even starts getting squirrely, you can hose 'em all then and there, before they get a chance to effectively resist.

Do that once or twice, then the word will be around that you don't **** with those guys when they move in to detain you.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                    Thieves don't get much sympathy.
                    They do from family members.

Do that once or twice, then the word will be around that you don't **** with those guys when they move in to detain you.
                    So now we arwe talking about arrests?

Comment

A firefight is what happens when they resist, an "arrest" is what happens when they don't resist. It's all the same process at the outset, it just depends on which way the *******s want to play.

Comment

and hung the bodies upside down to rot from the powerlines they stole pour encourager les outres

I think it should be "discourager les outres".
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I thought he meant encouraging Iraqis to kill some occupation soldiers.
                          “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

no he meant 'to encourage the others' (it makes more sense in french) basically to show others what happens to people who resist.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Or steal infrastructure that's critical to other Iraqis.

Comment

Working...
                              X