No announcement yet.

European heat wave kills thousands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they're used to deal with it even. btw, I can deal with heat pretty well, I just ignore it.

and I still keep wearing t-shirts under my shirts, to prevent sweaty marks in my armpits. beauty over comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
      You never get used to it, you just deal with it.
      You do get used to it, though seasonal changes in temperate zones make it harder. besides, there is also an infrastrcuture of temperature control, mainly AC. Europeans are underequiped when it come to it.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yep, you do get used to it.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Temperature range in Texas populated areas (excluding unihabited mountain tops and deserts with greater extremes) goes for -30*C to 47*C, try getting used to that. The upper end would be simlar to several inhabited parts of Israel.
          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Well, France is working on a solution to their persion problem. Have the family lock the old folks up in a attic room during an August heat wave with a few baguets and a bottle of Algerian wine, cash the last pension check, and go to the beach while they bake to death.
            This is really inhumane
            If you let your old people bake to death, at least give them something decent to drink !
            However, this is the real problem that you're showing. Old people are forgotten by their families more often than not. A few phone calls, a few visits as year, and that's the ticket for most families
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Temperature range in Texas populated areas (excluding unihabited mountain tops and deserts with greater extremes) goes for -30*C to 47*C, try getting used to that.

I'm sure -30C is typical winter temperature in Texas
              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

If you dont care about someone you shouldnt pretend you do. If you care enough for a few visits a year, fine, do that. Relative or not doesnt mean a thing...
                If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid I'm sure -30C is typical winter temperature in Texas
                  Nope, it a record low temp in an inhabited area (town of Seminole in the panhandle plains). It may be a more common one on top of the some of the mountains.
                  "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

If I go to trouble of making and raising children, I expect to live like a king when I get old and depend on them for my drugs and alcohol

If they wanted to lock me up and go on holidays, well think again mr. flat tyres

Comment

• Deserts can get hideously cold at night, regardless of latitude. The lack of humidity and cloud cover mean that heat loss to space is maximized.

Texas has a lot of desert.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• "Texas has a lot of desert."

Including mountains in deserts, they get even colder.

Comment

• -30 C

sorry, don't believe it

Deserts do NOT get that cold at night. At least not in Arizona, California, or Nevada.

You might see it get down to about 0 or 10 degrees F at best (or worst).

Comment

• they're talking social cold, Diss... think Las Vegas

Comment

• I found this on another site:

February 8th, 1933, 23 below zero, Seminole, Texas, still the coldest it has ever been in Texas!

Since everything else on that site is in degrees F, that number probably is, too -- which makes for -30.56 degrees C.

Of course, that is the lowest officially recorded temperature.
                              Last edited by The Mad Monk; August 31, 2003, 16:23.

Comment

• Here's a table of coldest temps by state, in case anyone's interested:
                                Code:
                                State by state low temperature records
                                State         Temp.       Date            Station        Elevation
                                              ( F)                                         (feet)
                                Alabama        -27    Jan. 30, 1966     New Market           760
                                Alaska         -80    Jan. 23, 1971     Prospect Creek     1,100
                                Arizona        -40    Jan.  7, 1971     Hawley Lake        8,180
                                Arkansas       -29    Feb. 13, 1905     Pond               1,250
                                California     -45    Jan. 20, 1937     Boca               5,532
                                Colorado       -61    Feb.  1, 1985     Maybell            5,920
                                Connecticut    -32    Feb. 16, 1943     Falls Village        585
                                Delaware       -17    Jan. 17, 1893     Millsboro             20
                                Florida        - 2    Feb. 13, 1899     Tallahassee          193
                                Georgia        -17    Jan. 27, 1940     N. Floyd County    1,000
                                Hawaii          12    May  17, 1979     Mauna Kea         13,770
                                Idaho          -60    Jan. 18, 1943     Island Park Dam    6,285
                                Illinois       -36    Jan.  5, 1999     Congerville          722
                                Indiana        -36    Jan. 19, 1994     New Whiteland        785
                                Iowa           -47    Feb.  3, 1996*    Elkader              770
                                Kansas         -40    Feb. 13, 1905     Lebanon            1,812
                                Kentucky       -34    Jan. 28, 1963     Cynthiana            684
                                Louisiana      -16    Feb. 13, 1899     Minden               194
                                Maine          -48    Jan. 19, 1925     Van Buren1           458
                                Maryland       -40    Jan. 13, 1912     Oakland            2,461
                                Massachusetts  -35    Jan. 12, 1981     Chester              640
                                Michigan       -51    Feb.  9, 1934     Vanderbilt           785
                                Minnesota      -60    Feb.  2, 1996     Tower              1,430   
                                Mississippi    -19    Jan. 30, 1966     Corinth              420
                                Missouri       -40    Feb. 13, 1905     Warsaw               700
                                Montana        -70    Jan. 20, 1954     Rogers Pass        5,470
                                Nebraska       -47    Feb. 12, 1899     Camp Clarke        3,700
                                Nevada         -50    Jan.  8, 1937     San Jacinto        5,200
                                New Hampshire  -47    Jan. 29, 1934     Mt. Washington     6,288
                                New Jersey     -34    Jan.  5, 1904     River Vale            70
                                New Mexico     -50    Feb.  1, 1951     Gavilan            7,350
                                New York       -52    Feb. 18, 1979*    Old Forge          1,720
                                North Carolina -34    Jan. 21, 1985     Mt. Mitchell       6,525
                                North Dakota   -60    Feb. 15, 1936     Parshall           1,929
                                Ohio           -39    Feb. 10, 1899     Milligan             800
                                Oklahoma       -27    Jan. 18, 1930     Watts                958
                                Oregon         -54    Feb. 10, 1933*    Seneca             4,700
                                Pennsylvania   -42    Jan.  5, 1904     Smethport     est. 1,500
                                Rhode Island   -25    Feb.  5, 1996     Greene               425
                                South Carolina -19    Jan. 21, 1985     Caesars Head       3,100
                                South Dakota   -58    Feb. 17, 1936     McIntosh           2,277
                                Tennessee      -32    Dec. 30, 1917     Mountain City      2,471
                                Texas          -23    Feb.  8, 1933*    Seminole           3,275
                                Utah           -69    Feb.  1, 1985     Peter's Sink       8,092
                                Vermont        -50    Dec. 30, 1933     Bloomfield           915
                                Virginia       -30    Jan. 22, 1985     Mountain Lake      3,870
                                Washington     -48    Dec. 30, 1968     Mazama             2,120
                                                                        Winthrop           1,755 
                                West Virginia  -37    Dec. 30, 1917     Lewisburg          2,200
                                Wisconsin      -54    Jan. 24, 1922     Danbury              908
                                Wyoming        -66    Feb.  9, 1933     Riverside          6,650
                                *Also on earlier dates at the same or other places.
                                1 The low temperature of -55 at Allagash, Maine, in January of1999 was found to be 13 degrees too cold. The previous record of-48 at Van Buren still stands.
                                Source: National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, National Climatic Data Center

Comment

Working...
                                X