No announcement yet.

European heat wave kills thousands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see. On the other hand a small rain can flood Athens whereas in Belgium everything is business as usual even in a -10C snowfall.

Comment

Doesn't get that cold here often , but yes that's the idea
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The first time I arrived at Belgium at 10 years old, the temperature was at -17C. The worse winter in the country for decades from what I was told.

I remember it quite vividly. I was the blue icestick standing in the bus station

Comment

I think it is sad that so many French people are dying... why is it only in France? isnt the heat wave affecting other countries?

Anyway, what should be done about it?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            I think it is sad that so many French people are dying... why is it only in France? isnt the heat wave affecting other countries?

Anyway, what should be done about it?
            I suppose the heat wave has been even worse in France than in other countries, and the French government has just released the figures, which explains why it is under the spotlight of this article.

Paiktis:
            This Greek idea is good. I am not aware if it has been done or not in France. In any ways, I think I'll e-mail the idea to the ministry.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

maybe the French just don't know how to count, or are blowing the numbers up just to get some sympathy... would be a nice change from getting bashed

if only I had my Star Destroyer to have hover over Paris and give them some shade...
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Let's all ignore it and it will all go away...

what, europe or the heatwave?
                B♭3

Comment

[q] Originally posted by BeBro
                  And fans and air conditions are evil, because they use more energy,

LOLOLOLROTF. Not if the energy comes from a great clean source... like nuke plants.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    34C again today here.
                    We have had several 40*C days in San this summer (Like most summers) it is not a problem here.
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

It's Bush's fault!!!

I heard that parts of central Europe is predicted to become a desert within 60 years unless we start doing something about it soon.
                      Predicted by whom? I'm compiling a list of nutcase activists and need their name. Take a look at temp graphs put out by paleo-climatologists and you'll see just how moderate historical temps have been. I'd be worried about the next ice advance and what triggers them...

Comment

I'd be worried about the next ice advance and what triggers them...
                        It's possible that all the fuel burning and deforestation IS the trigger.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Why? In case of an ice age, we can always dump loads of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Global warming is much harder to deal with.
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Why? In case of an ice age, we can always dump loads of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Global warming is much harder to deal with.
                            It is my understanding that global warming can cause an ice age, and dumping greenhouse gases probably wouldn't help.

Global Warming -> melt ice caps -> alter trade wind, floods -> if the winds decide to move from polar regions south/north it could refrease the water where it wasn't before -> ice age
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                              The first time I arrived at Belgium at 10 years old, the temperature was at -17C. The worse winter in the country for decades from what I was told.

I remember it quite vividly. I was the blue icestick standing in the bus station
                              Wimp!
                              -17C is a rather typical winter temperature where I live (northern Sweden). Actually, I prefer when it gets below -30C. There's virtually no people or traffic on the streets when it's this cold so it's really nice to go out for a walk, just remember to wear warm clothes
                              Also, it's always very entertaining to see how my Chinese friends suffer during the coldest winter weeks
                              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo

Actually... An increase in global temperatures is likely to result in a new global iceage as increased evaporation slightly changes the ocean's salinity causing ocean currents to change to a more east-west orientation instead of the tropics to the polls style currents we have now.

Supposedly, as the salinity increases the density of the surface water increases and the ocean currents dive deeper instead of staying mostly on the surface as they currently do. This means less heat energy will make it to the extreme north or south thus resulting in a cooling trend. This is what is thought to have caused the mini-ice age after the midevial warm period.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X