No announcement yet.

European heat wave kills thousands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not just the airco BTW, houses here are build to keep the heat in, not vice-versa.

ATM the weather here is great, but I sure didn't enjoy the last 10 days...
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

My sincere sympathies to those Europeans who have lost a friend or family member to the heat wave.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
        It's not just the airco BTW, houses here are build to keep the heat in, not vice-versa.
        If there is an isolating layer, it shouldn't matter.

The roofs can be a problem. European roofs heat up real fast.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          get air conditioning. Or at the very least, fans.
          Yeah right 'cause that's really easy, everywhere in the country completely sold out of fans in about a day, air conditioning people are booked for months.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

We should really accelerate the development of renewable energy, in order to beat back global warming. Or build city-sized refridgerators.

Comment

So, you like, don't even have fans? Fans are basic, and cheap. EVERY house should have one! Even in Europe! (or should I say, "esp. in Europe"? )
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Some people do, most don't. Never normally need them.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

34C again today here.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The best bit is many shops in the UK clear out their summer lines, like fans, at the end of July, and start to stock winter items. Just in time for a late summer heat wave.
                    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Yesterday it was the first "cold" day here - ca. 25C. The days before we had always over 35, sometimes 37 - 39C.

And fans and air conditions are evil, because they use more energy, causing more global warming

Let´s go crawl back into our caves.
                      Blah

Comment

And fans and air conditions are evil, because they use more energy,

True.
                        Not to mention the financial aspects, 1 the are alot(?) more expensive to buy here and to maintain, ie electricity, here is alot more expensive too
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

To be serious, I don´t need a fan or even an airco at home, even at 35C or more. But at work or at the uni it would be great
                          Blah

Comment

I don't need one either. The place is quite cool and at night, I sleep on the quite ample spaced veranda. And have the sweet summer breeze tingle me all over, or maybe they are night fairies, I don't know.

If I was to sleep inside in July or early August though, I'd definitely could use an aircondition.

Comment

Spiffor, do you also do this in France: If there are heat waves, the municipalities open up big airconditioned venues where the elderly and particularly those with respiratory problems can go and play backgammon or something.

The elderly and particulalry those who have noone to look after them and no money to buy airconditions, are the ones who are in danger of duying from the heat.

Most of the victims are old people, prompting comments in the press to the effect that the real scandal was their loneliness and isolation - many families leave behind their elderly relatives as they go on holiday.

Last edited by Bereta_Eder; August 15, 2003, 10:43.

Comment

I know Paris opens it's subway in the winter from time to time, never heard of them (and others) doing something in the summer.
                                As said before, we have absolutely no experience with heat (at least not in the 'it's a problem' kind of way)

Comment

Working...
                                X