Are we de-sensitized to violence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we de-sensitized to violence?

two days ago a co-worker of mine asked me to work his shift the next day. after a few hours, i asked him what he was up to that he couldn't work and he said he had to go to his boy's funeral. his boy was recently shot in the head and killed.

I just said oh thats a shame and didn't give it a second thought until a few minutes later when i realized, shouldnt i have said something a bit more appropriate than be like oh thats a shame? and shake my head a little... but even he seemed kind of cool about ****. the whole day we was joking and ****... not what you'd expect of a teenager who just had his friend murdered...

so whats up? are we all numb to violence these days?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Well, by your accounts that sort of thing is apparently a regular occurence in Philadelphia. Under such circumstances, one would be confronted by the choice of learning to deal or going mad with grief. Given time, human beings can grow accustomed to just about any kind of horror.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Violence has become a number. "673 killed this month in Rwagoandon-Bagabob Civil War"..."3,100 death toll in Iranq"..."3 killed in Philly shooting"...I'd like to see anyone who took deaths are more than a number.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

people don't get "de-sensitezed" to violence... talk to WW2 veterans about the carnage they saw... it's just a bull**** attack on violence in the media by over zelaous conservative groups that have nothing better to do than blame others for their lack of parental responsibility.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Man, you sobered up FAST!!!
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

WHO asyS sober? I jsut ook extra tiem to ma ke that post semi-legible
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

my theory si that huamsn are naturalyl violetn... stupd conservative dicake hadscs think we are enlgihtended beings, btu we a re really murerous animals...
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

my theory si that Svaa are tooe drukn... stupd ultraliberavl dicake hadscs think he are enlghited beings, btu he i s really to hamerd to post...

Comment

I'm not a ds durnek as mhy tpyign may show! i just am lptoo lzayz to fizx it when I **** jup!
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Svaa, plse ehether quti drunkdig so mcuh or giv me smoe

Comment

Next person that starts a thread on any computer topic, I'm going to bash their head in with a bat (joking).

de-sensitized to violence? NAH
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                        X