The State of American Dentistry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of American Dentistry

So I went in for my once every 6 months routine teeth cleaning on Monday. With me it's usually and in and out thing. I'd never needed any work, never wore braces, always get compliments about my teeth and bite. I brush once a day, and floss a few times a month, but somehow they stay in great shape.

We've been a bit tight on cash lately, and my brother (who's teeth are the hyde to my jekyll) recently needed 3 cavities filled and braces. About 5,500 dollars worth of work. He also broke his ankle rollerblading about 3 months ago. Hasn't been a good year for the insurance companies or my parents as far as unexpected costs.

Anyhow, my mother drops me off and tells me that if I need any work done for any reason, tell them that you'll have to come back for it another day because we don't have the money. The visit only costs me 2 dollars out of pocket if everything goes well (which it always does)

I go in and the hygentist tells me that we need X-rays done again. I tell her that I've just had them done on my last visit, but she says that their records need updating. I know that these are covered by the insurance, so I don't protest any further.

After that, she goes to work on the teeth and discovers my first cavity (yeah I know, I'm a real bad ass) much to my disappointment. So she tells me I'll need to have it filled, at which point I explain that I can't have any work done because we don't have the money. She says that that's fine and understandable (the practice is small, so the hygentists know our family pretty well).

After the usual cleaning is finished, the dentist comes in to do the final check. Recognizes the cavity and informs me that I should get it done right now (he knows that I go back to University soon). I explain to him that we can't afford it, at which point he tries to show why i need to get it filled right away. I then tell him that what he's saying doens't change the fact that we can't pay for it at the moment.

So my mother comes back to pick me up and I tell her that I have a cavity that needs filling. She asks how much it will cost, and is told $61 out of pocket and the rest covered by our insurance. She reasons that it would be best to get it done before I go back to school, and schedules the appointment for today. Luckily my sister was scheduled to come in anyway, so it wasn't an extra trip or anything.

So I go in and they fill the cavity no problem. And by 'they' I mean the hygentist. The dentist once again did nothing except check on it at the end.

The kicker is, we come out to pay and my mom, who has scrounged together $61 to pay for this, is informed that the bill will be $122. She asks why, since it was one cavity in one tooth, and $61 is what the cost is and was told to her just a few days ago. The receptionist says that there were two cavities that were filled. My bull**** alarm goes off, and I tell her that there was only one cavity filled. She goes to the dentist to ask about it, and he comes out and says that there were two cavities on the same tooth. When I asked the hygentist in the room, however, she told me that it was only one very small cavity on the top of my wisdom tooth...and I was literally in and out in 15 minutes. It was barely any work at all.

My mom and I stand our ground, thank God, and the receptionist says that due to the original estimate given a few days ago she'll change the cost back to $61. So we pay and get out.

Now, I know that's a whole lot and it's one experience, but it highlights a few things which we discussed on the way home.

1) X-rays were not at all necessary. My Widsom teeth have already come in, and with no problems. This leads us to think that the only reason they take them is because it's something they can charge the insurance companies for. We have been told that X-rays are only necessary every 2 to 3 years, unless a whole mess of problems arise.

2) My Dentist doesn't do much work. I always thought it was because I had good teeth and didn't need any serious work, but my mom informed me that she's spoken with the hygentists before, and they are irate at how much work they do compared to the Dentist. In fact, we've been to a few practices over the past couple years due to changing jobs and insurance companies, and my mom says it's the same everywhere we've gone (and we may end up changing again)

It's my understanding that, from the places we've been, hygentists do all of the work (and get paid much less) while Dentists do a few laps around the place checking on patients after the visit is over, and make 10 times more.

3) Practices attempt to hoodwink people out of their money by charging more than necessary. The reality is, it was not a necessary price at all. On top of that, I'm still convinced that I only had the one cavity as I was told on the day of my first visit and by the hygentist when I arrived, AND by the Dentist afterwards but before billing.

...so I'm an anti-dentite.

Not really, but what are your thoughts? Anyone get screwed by the world of Dentistry and live to tell the tale?
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

I only go to a dentist every 3 or 4 years. My teeth take care of themselves. I've had one cavity in my life, and no other dental work.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't really have any crazy dentist stories... My dentist is an old family friend, so he probably makes sure not to screw up on me, if only to avoid delicate social situations.

Anyway, it's kinda weird that the hygenist would fill the cavity. Usually, for all "real work", the dentist does it, in my case anyway. The hygenist 'preps' me, the dentist comes in and inspects, then he leaves (unless something important needs to be drilled or filled), hygenist cleans my teeth, fluoride, end.

Fascinating.
      "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

I haven't had too many problems with dentists.

I just got my wisdom teeth out (all 4 of them at once), so I'm a bit sore in the jaw, but it went well. I really like the dentists I got now... they seem to be better than my old one. I guess it really depends on which dentist you go see.

For example in the last filling I had to have done, the dentist did ALL the work. The hygenist basically just handed him stuff.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by cinch
          Anyway, it's kinda weird that the hygenist would fill the cavity. Usually, for all "real work", the dentist does it, in my case anyway.
          That's the idea, they're supposed to! The hygentist did fine, of course, but that's not the point. The dentist is being paid to do the cavity, not the hygentist. Yet who is doing all of the work? That really bothers me. He literally came in, gave the shot of novacaine, and then left only to return after the filling was completed.

The hygenist 'preps' me, the dentist comes in and inspects, then he leaves (unless something important needs to be drilled or filled), hygenist cleans my teeth, fluoride, end.
          That's how my checkups have always gone, because I never needed work, and that I could understand. But this time I expected the Dentist to work on my teeth. Unreal.
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            For example in the last filling I had to have done, the dentist did ALL the work. The hygenist basically just handed him stuff.
            And that's the way it should be if he's getting paid to do it.

Comment

As with any profession there are good 'uns and bad 'uns. I've audited dental claims so I know some of the bad ones tricks.

Most dentists want as much information as possible about your insurance. Billing a pile of work to your insurance company is less hassle for them. Much unnecessary work gets done because of this. A real warning sign is when you see procedures not performed appearing on the bill to your insurer.

Some dentist will suggest replacing all your traditional fillings with mercury-free composite. While there may or may not be a benefit to the patient (my dentist thinks the newer fillings are even more toxic than the old ones) there is a huge benefit to the dentist's bottom line if you have a lot of fillings.

Some dentists will even put fillings on pristine teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFred
                As with any profession there are good 'uns and bad 'uns. I've audited dental claims so I know some of the bad ones tricks.

Most dentists want as much information as possible about your insurance. Billing a pile of work to your insurance company is less hassle for them. Much unnecessary work gets done because of this. A real warning sign is when you see procedures not performed appearing on the bill to your insurer.

Some dentist will suggest replacing all your traditional fillings with mercury-free composite. While there may or may not be a benefit to the patient (my dentist thinks the newer fillings are even more toxic than the old ones) there is a huge benefit to the dentist's bottom line if you have a lot of fillings.

Some dentists will even put fillings on pristine teeth.
                That's really scary...and you have to stop and think about the fact that, if they are doing this, they're not likely to get caught because, well, who's going to question them. I mean, unless of course you're getting second opinions...but not many people have the time or money to shell out on that.

Your point is true, of course, that as in any profession there will be good people and bad people. I've always liked going to the dentist's (mainly because I flirt with the hygentists...there's just something about a woman in a purple jumper examining your mouth ) but I never realized how easily they could screw you if they want to...or perhaps how easily they already are

Comment

Dude, seriously... after reading all this, look around for a better dentist. I guess you never realize if you have a bad one or not until you switch and look back.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

My regular dentist I had before I moved recently was a good one. He did his fair share of work (filling cavities, discussing x-rays with me) and so forth.

I was comfortable at my appointments.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Dude, seriously... after reading all this, look around for a better dentist. I guess you never realize if you have a bad one or not until you switch and look back.
                      I'd love to, but I don't have much of a choice in the matter. My dad's insurance is pretty selective about where we can go. I like the first dentist we had best, but we've had to switch a lot because of insurance issues. My parents have considered buying separate dental insurance, but the fact remains that we just don't have the extra money lying around...and my dad works two jobs (9 AM - Midnight), with my mom working during the school year.

Comment

I say it is America's Destiny to rule the Universe! Right now Stage 2 (numb them via American media) is nearing completion. Bwahahahaha!

What's that? Dentistry you say? Oh. nevermind.

Comment

gunkulator...how appropriate. Sounds like a Dentist's tool.

Comment

Orange,
                            that sh!t is happening everywhere, our insurance company says x-rays once a year, never let them talk you to inside that year. These guys don't give a rats ass about your financial problems, make this their problem.
                            Your Dentist must need a new corvette.
                            My family is strapped for cash also, I have one daughter beginning college, thank God in my town(no out of town expenses) and the 3 year old is still in daycare, and ironically enough they both cost the same per month.
                            The reason I mention this is our insurance company is now allowing us, what they call FLEX program, if you know you have health or childcare costs you can flex them and what that means, you take the money out pre-tax and depending on where your parents are in the tac bracket, they could save between, 25-40%, just a thought buddy.
                            Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

My dad's insurance is pretty selective about where we can go.

Surely there is more than one dentist you can go to? If not, then that is incredibly selective!!

Comment

Working...
                              X