More proof that Fox New is nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More proof that Fox New is nuts

Get this: Fox News is suing someone for using the phrase "fair and balanced".

Fox Sues Al Franken for Trademark Infringement

New York — Al Franken, the humorist being sued by Fox News Channel for use of the phrase "fair and balanced," said he doesn't mind the legal action. But he does wish it hadn't happened during his vacation.

Fox sued the former Saturday Night Live performer and his publisher, the Penguin Group, to stop them from including "fair and balanced" in the title of his upcoming book.

The trademark infringement lawsuit, which was filed in Manhatten's State Supreme Courtm, wants to force Penguin to rename Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right. The book is scheduled for release next month. The lawsuit also seeks unspecified damages.

Fox News registered "Fair & Balanced" as a trademark in 1995, the lawsuit said.

"I normally prefer not to be out of the country on vacation when I'm sued. However, from everything I know about law regarding satire, I'm not worried," said Franken, who has not filed a response in court. He is vacationing in Italy.

In its court papers, Fox described the author and liberal commentator as "neither a journalist nor a television news personality. He is not a well-respected voice in American politics; rather, he appears to be shrill and unstable. His views lack any serious depth or insight."

Fox alleged that Franken was "either intoxicated or deranged" when he attacked the network and conservative host Bill O'Reilly earlier this year. The lawsuit also says that Franken has been described as "increasingly unfunny."

"As far as the personal attacks go," Franken responded, "when I read 'intoxicated or deranged' and 'shrill and unstable' in their complaint, I thought for a moment I was a Fox commentator."

"And by the way, a few months ago, I trademarked the word 'funny.' So when Fox calls me 'unfunny,' they're violating my trademark. I am seriously considering a countersuit."

Golfing since 67

As if we needed more proof.

Already posted yesterday.
    "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
    "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Re: More proof that Fox New is nuts

Originally posted by Tingkai

"His views lack any serious depth or insight."
      Again copying the style of Fox News.

Comment

Let's ask these people what they think about all of this:
        Attached Files

Comment

Merica
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
            Merica
            Mewica
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
              Let's ask these people what they think about all of this:
              Uh, those people think? I've seen more thinking going on in the primate house at the zoo! (primates often think of new ways to use tools - those guys are a bunch of tools...)
              - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
              - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
              - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                Merica
                Youneyeted Staytes of Aimewica

Comment

According to the Drudge Report, Al Franken's book is now No. 1 on Amazon.com.

He should really give Fox News a cut because of all the great publicity it has given him.

Comment

Not good PR for Fox News, that's for sure.

They are just being bad sports.

Comment

we already have a thread on this

Comment

But this one has pictures.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                        X