Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel halts gestures to PA pending action against terrorists

-----------------------
    Israel will neither transfer to Palestinian control additional West Bank cities, nor release any more Palestinian prisoners, until the PA takes serious action against the terrorist infrastructure, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz agreed Wednesday.
    ------------------
    Breaking news about Satellite from The Jerusalem Post. Read the latest updates on Satellite including articles, videos, opinions and more.

Time for the PA to meet their obligations if they really are serious about peace.

Stay strong, Israel!
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

To Sharon:

Say it is PM Abbas's fault as usual.

Comment

And here we go again...I wouldn't see this as a good thing, if the peace process breaks down due to the PA's reaction/lack of reaction.

Hopefully the PA actually cooperates some more now (and hopefully Israel will accept such cooperation and not go into making unrealistic demands, even if they might sound reasonable to their ears, like basically splitting the Palestinian's down the middle).
      DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
        To Sharon:

Say it is PM Abbas's fault as usual.
        Yes it is Abbas' fault. He is not fullfilling his obligations or promises.

You can't have a Peace Process when only one side meets its obligations.
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat

Yes it is Abbas' fault. He is not fullfilling his obligations or promises.

You can't have a Peace Process when only one side meets its obligations.
          He can't stop everything. That is like trying to force the police to stop a murders, it's not possible. There are too many extremist sypathizers.

Comment

He can't stop everything. That is like trying to force the police to stop a murders, it's not possible. There are too many extremist sypathizers.
            He can certainly stop some things. He can certainly pressure Al Aqsa, and he could also destroy the tunnels used for smuggling in the parts of Gaza the PA now controls. Instead, he is not doing that, and the incitement levels on Palestinian television demonizing Israelis and encouraging suicide bombers has returned.

Apologists for Abbas keep on saying ot give him more time to build support. Except that after months, his support has dropped and he hasn't managed to do anything other than the hudna - which is a ceasefire in name only.

A leader doesn't become a good leader by waiting around for his poll numbers to go higher. He does so by making important decisions and, get this, leading. Abbas has done precious little of that. And so his poll numbers go down, his power gets wrestled out of his hands and the terrorist groups renew their strength making it harder for Abbas to ever dismantle them.

Abbas is making himself impotent and irrelevent.
            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

You're acting as if Abbas is doing his best to do what he can.

Well infact he isn't. His almost entire shedule is devoted mostly to foreign affairs issues - ie convincing heads of state and people like you, that he can't stop everything, and therefore shouldn't be pushed to stop anything at all.

Comment

The only way to peace is the Meir Kahane way.
                får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

If random American tourists starting blowing themselves up in London, would the Brits be right in calling for GW to do something about it ,or should they just let him off the hook, saying "he can't control what some lone nuts do."? If they pressured Dubya, would you tell the Brits the same as above?

Just wondering...

Comment

So should the police not even try? Should we just disband all police since they can't stop every single little crime?

There are lots of things Abbas should be doing but isn't. He could destroy the tunnels used to smuggle weapons through the gaza Strip. He could arrest more known militants. He could remove anti-israel incitement in Pal schools.

The bottom line is the terrorist infrastructure must be dismantled before there can be a process towards a Palestinian State. Otherwise, all you do is create a terrorist State in the middle of Israel which would be disastrous for Israelis, disastrous for Palestinians, and disastrous for the entire ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Al'Kimiya
                      The only way to peace is the Meir Kahane way.
                      Yeah, the "Meir Kahane way" certainly worked for Meir Kahane

And I hope nobody is holding their breath on the peace process.
                      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

The only way out of this is Abbas is going to have to fight a civil war within the PA. If he is not willing to do this, everything they are trying to do for peace is a moot point. He is either in control or not, no grey area.
                        Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant
                          The only way out of this is Abbas is going to have to fight a civil war within the PA. If he is not willing to do this, everything they are trying to do for peace is a moot point. He is either in control or not, no grey area.
                          The only way out of this for Abbas is to retire and move.
                          - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                          - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Templar,
                            What will that achieve? Or are you being sarcastic?
                            Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant
                              Templar,
                              What will that achieve? Or are you being sarcastic?
                              Sarcastic.

I fail to see what Abbas can do to solve the terroeist problem. He can move against the terrorists and likely be assassinated himself, he can do nothing and watch the same old bull**** continue, or he can go down the Arafat route and exacerbate the problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X