Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human genetic enhancement.

So, would you like it?

Let's say that it is possible, via genetics, to make all humans good looking, desease-free, intelligent, and not sociopathic.

would you go for it? I certainly would.
    urgh.NSFW

As long as there is still room for diversity... sure.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Only if it can be done outside the germ-line. If you can be enhanced after being born, great, otherwise I think it's a bad idea.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Nah...

Comment

Only if they want it (read, can afford it ).

Parents shouldn't be able to inflict it on their kids at their birth. The child should have a right to decide what it wants to be.

Much like plastic surgery is today--those who want it, afford it, and make their lives better for it.

One might say that it would create seperate classes in society...however, there are more men who like real ones than fake ones. Likewise, people who can't make with what they've gotten will probably be viewed as superficial ****s, thus decreasing the want to get it.
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Only if it can be done outside the germ-line. If you can be enhanced after being born, great, otherwise I think it's a bad idea.
            many genetical deseases and deficiencies can be, retrovirally, others, cannot.

Oh, and btw, did I mention the various transgenic qualities we could be getting, like digesting cellulose?
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

if you make everybody perfect, being perfect will have no meaning...
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

On the contrary. It will give everyone equal, equally great opportunity for people to excell in life!
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

No, imperfection will just have a new meaning.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Re: Human genetic enhancement.

Originally posted by Azazel
                    So, would you like it?

Let's say that it is possible, via genetics, to make all humans good looking, desease-free, intelligent, and not sociopathic.

would you go for it? I certainly would.
                    Thinking of Gattaca
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Yeah, well, it depends on what you look at the story of Gattaca: I've never said that people should be treated according to their genetic lineage.

Think of the human effort such an endeavour would save, esp. if it would be available for everyone!
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Let's say that it is possible, via genetics, to make all humans not sociopathic. would you go for it?
                        Actually I like being a sociopath.

Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                          No, imperfection will just have a new meaning.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Can I have a second ****?

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Given those benefits, yes. But when working at the genetic level, side effects are numerous and hard to predict.

Comment

Working...
                              X