X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Pretty Polly mean?

Discuss.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

It means the bird's name is polly and she is a pretty bird.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Pretty dumbass thread, wouldn't you say ?

ONLY joking.
      Last edited by SlowwHand; August 13, 2003, 14:50.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I have heard it used in different situations. A Clockwork Orange and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy both have it used in different ways than the bird definition.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

A Pretty Polly is a woman. Specific meaning is carried in context and verbal inflecton.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
            I have heard it used in different situations. A Clockwork Orange and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy both have it used in different ways than the bird definition.
            Both of which, you will note, were novels by British authors - i believe the usage of "polly" for woman is Brit slang. Brits, please?
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Given what the average British woman looks like, it's not surprising.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                i believe the usage of "polly" for woman is Brit slang. Brits, please?
                I've never heard it used before. If it is Brit slang then it is very archaic.

Check this site out for more definitions of British slang than you can shake a stick at: http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/
                (doesn't include Polly, btw)
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Doesn't ring a bell really, although I mange to come from one of the few places in the UK without an accent.
                  Visit http://www.civgaming.net/

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

I've never heard it used before. If it is Brit slang then it is very archaic.
                    Tinker, Tailor was mid-70's, and Clockwork '60s IIRC, so it could be slang thats no longer used.

Any OLD brits ?
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I also seem to recall that Clockwork used a lot of cockney - cockney anyone?

Comment

CO takes place in the future, so its slang is invented.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yes, 80% of the slang in Clockwork Orange is totally made up - the rest is heavily modified versions of existing slang. It's part of what makes the book so excellent that it still makes perfect sense.
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                            Yes, 80% of the slang in Clockwork Orange is totally made up - the rest is heavily modified versions of existing slang. It's part of what makes the book so excellent that it still makes perfect sense.
                            But the author mentions that some of the slang is "rhyming slang" which he explicitly compared to cockney rhyming slang. So given that the same use for polly also occurs in Le Carre (who may have made things up but certainly not language) i would think this is "real" slang.

BTW - in honor of Le Carre -

5 points to whoever "gets it"

Comment

Ali hsas just rertnured from a anight of the town, during the course of which she has llsto her shirt, literallyqaask and who knowss awhat else. If anybodsy has resssspondedde to the s wquqieostn in the lag trimes placesss to forgev vei.

I avhe heard teh ACO is actually in RUssains. because you have slagns such as devocthiak and orthers such as pieets and rookahs which means fist etc asnd Tinker TT S APSY is writen about RUsian spies so mayb ethat smaenas sit's sojething in RUsssains? Actehs prlsk kknx. df the precisely and sdkjfh eknk haven'tos the vefore.
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X