Court rules against RIAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court rules against RIAA

A Massachusetts court has sided with two universities, ruling that the RIAA cannot run a centralized subpoena sweatshop from Washington D.C. and expect to attack all 50 states. The court has called on the RIAA to file subpoenas against file-traders in their respective jurisdictions.
    "Today's ruling requires the recording industry to file subpoenas where it alleges that copyright infringement occurs, rather than blanketing the country from one court in D.C.," said Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Staff Attorney Wendy Seltzer, in a statement. "The court ruling confirms that due process applies to Internet user privacy nationwide."
    article

Excellent news.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

I don't know the number of districts but that should drain those bastards of manpower like nothing else.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

There are ~90 Court districts plus assorted territorial districts.

All this ruling really means is that the lawyers will be getting a lot of airplane time as they fly from one court district to the next. It may slow them down some, but they've got the bucks to get the manpower needed to do this. A minor setback for the RIAA only

Comment

The way we win this is by draining the RIAA cash reserves. This is a very good thing.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

You're wrong. They'll just increase the CD prices and blame it on recession or something and for some reason people will buy that.
          The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Some will, more will not.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

The RIAA are fighting a losing battle. They're just too stupid to understand the point. When companies like the baby-bells start suing them in order to protect their interests you know its all over but the crying (although that may still take some time to finish).
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. A. Cula
                You're wrong. They'll just increase the CD prices and blame it on recession or something and for some reason people will buy that.
                Fewer and fewer people will buy the crap, ending up in a downward spiral.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Fewer and fewer people will buy the crap, ending up in a downward spiral.

Comment

It is an igsignificant ruling, other than the embaressment to the attornies. Their large multistate law firms with have attornies admitted to practice in most of the federal jusidictions, and they willl just mail or fax the applications.
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Well...every ruling counts, even the smallest ones.

Unfortunately, however, with the massive markup already on CDs, this should not hurt their earnings for a while.
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

They'll just refile in the new district and instead of having one lawyer file they'll just farm it out to a different lawyer in each district. They'll still have one lawyer per case and they're costs probably won't go up very much.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                          The RIAA are fighting a losing battle. They're just too stupid to understand the point.
                          Actually, they are legally required to fight in order to protect their copyrights. They have, however, gone about this very stupidly. They should have responded by lowering prices, diversifying their offerings, and embracing the technology in a way like iTunes.

Prices now are as expensive as DVDs. Forget it.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Since CDs of new recordings are a State-supported monopoly business they are already as high as the market will bear. Increasing prices will directly lead to decreasing sales, and decreasing profit. Especially when an alternative exists (the alternative that they're trying to shut down).

The fact is that the recording industry is getting poorer, plain and simple. Eventually they will start to run out of money. This is a step in the right direction.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X