No announcement yet.

Windows XP emergency! What do I do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I downloaded a program called Disk Checker and ran it. Here's what it looked like when it was finished:
    Attached Files
    "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

ok, well your first problem is that godawful colour scheme. get that sorted and the whole thing'll look better.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Make a bootdisk. Use that bootdisk. Then scan.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Attached Files
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
            Make a bootdisk. Use that bootdisk. Then scan.
            How do you make a bootdisk with WinXP? There's no DOS.

Comment

I think even when XP installs, it allows you to create a bootdisk. Can't tell you for sure though, as I don't use XP.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

You can open "My Computer", press the right button on Drive A, select Formant, and then select 'Create a DOS boot disk'. That works in Windows XP
                Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions, but the problem seems to have worked itself out.

This time when the check disk options came up, I checked "Automatically fix file system errors" before clicking Start. Then a lengthy error message popped up saying that it couldn't perform the scan because it needed exclusive access to certain Windows files. It then asked me if I wanted to schedule the scan for the next time I started Windows, so I clicked Yes and rebooted. So the scan executed, some errors were fixed (can't recall exactly what; it went too fast), and now I can run disk check in Windows again. Problem solved...hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X