Apolyton IRC Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton IRC Guide

"Apolyton.net Chat - Join Us!" is on top of every forum page loaded, but seeing as how few people join it, does anyone remember it's there? Just as a reminder and in case you've forgotten, here's how to get in.

Skip to Step 3 if you already have mIRC installed, or Step 4 should you want to use jIRC
    1) Downloading mIRC
    Go to http://www.mirc.com. Here, you will find the home page for mIRC, which is a program that can be used to connect to IRC. (IRC is the chat medium that Apolyton and many other sites use.) Click "Download mIRC" on the left-hand side of the page, and download it from the location most geographically near you.
    2) Installing mIRC
    mIRC, as far as I remember, uses the same installation process as most software does. It should be a cakewalk. After installation, start the program, and close the little "About mIRC" box. Now, it should give you the "mIRC Options" window, opened to "Connect". Click "Add". You will notice an "Add Server" box pops up; fill in Description with something descriptive (like Apolyton). You must, however, put
    Code:
    apolyton.net
    in the IRC Server field. Port(s) should already be set to
    Code:
    , but in case it isn't, fill it in as that. mIRC is now installed, and configured to connect to Apolyton.net IRC.
    3)Connecting, using mIRC
    Still in the Connect window? Good. In the "IRC Network:" drop-down menu, set it to "All" if not set that way already. In the drop-down menu BELOW "IRC Network:", set it to whatever description you used for apolyton.net. Click 'Connect to IRC Server', and mIRC will start attempting to connect.

This is how a typical connect goes:
    Code:
    [32:02] * Connecting to apolyton.net (6667)
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Found your hostname, cached
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Checking Ident
    -
    Welcome to the Greek IRC Network mr_AFK!~xxx@xxx.xxx
    Your host is apolyton.net[@0.0.0.0], running version bahamut-1.4(34)+greeklish
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Your host is apolyton.net[@0.0.0.0], running version bahamut-1.4(34)+greeklish
    -
    This server was created Mon May 26 2003 at 17:41:58 EDT
    apolyton.net bahamut-1.4(34)+greeklish oiwscrknfydaAbghet biklLmMnoprRstvc
    NOQUIT WATCH=128 SAFELIST MODES=13 MAXCHANNELS=10 MAXBANS=100 NICKLEN=30 TOPICLEN=307 KICKLEN=307 CHANTYPES=&# PREFIX=(ov)@+ NETWORK=GRNet SILENCE=10 CASEMAPPING=ascii are available on this server
    -
    There are 4 users and 16 invisible on 2 servers
    5 IRC Operators online
    17 channels formed
    I have 13 clients and 0 servers
    -
    Current local users: 13 Max: 24
    Current global users: 20 Max: 31
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Notice -- motd was last changed at 26/5/2003 17:46
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Notice -- Please read the motd if you haven't read it
    -
    Message of the Day, apolyton.net
    -
    - *** This is the short motd ***
    End of /MOTD command.
    -
    Local host: your.isp.here (IP.address.here.banana)
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Notice -- This server runs an open proxy monitor to prevent abuse.
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Notice -- If you see connections on various ports from my.server.name
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Notice -- please disregard them, as they are the monitor in action.
    -
    [32:03] -apolyton.net- *** Notice -- For more information please visit [url]http://www.irc.gr/help/socks.shtml[/url]
    -
    [32:03] * mr_AFK sets mode: +i
    -
    And now you're connected? Well, what channels should you join? #apolyton is the main channel. The IRC server is mostly used for DG activity, so there are no real "chat channels" except for #apolyton. Also [self-promotion]you can enter #aligator, my own channel that I have for various reasons.[/self-promotion]

4) I am using jIRC
    If you're using jIRC, it will connect to the server once you fill in your Nick Name (how others will see you) and click Connect Now!. However, jIRC is a limited IRC tool. It's recommended you download mIRC or such if you wish to connect to IRC.

5. Notes
    > #apolyton is not registered. Until someone does, anyone is free to change the topic. DON'T. Whatever you're thinking of, it's been done before (probably several times) and is lame past all measure.
    > #aligator, not #alligator. Yes, I know how to spell "alligator". But #aligator is how you spell a chat room (channel), not a reptile.
    > The "Global Users" thing, I do not know about. Does that mean there can only be 31 users on at a time? If so...might not be so good for that so many OTFers download mIRC and...eh frck it.
    > No unauthorised bots or scripts.
    > You can register your own nicknames and channels in order to avoid someone stealing your nickname in the future. Should anyone ask, I'll post a guide for that too, but I'm lazy, so not before I know it's needed. (You must be operator of a channel, i.e. with an @ in front of your name in the users list, before you can register it. Likewise you must be actually using your nickname when you msg Nickserv about it.)
    > Do NOT try to connect to irc.apolyton.net. I don't care what other sites do, you just need "apolyton.net" to connect to Apolyton IRC.
    > Should you need any more help, I will be in #apolyton and #aligator. Also, you can post questions here and I'll try my best to answer them.

Now, come one, come many, come all (or up to 31 ) to Apolyton.net Chat!
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

--"Current Idlethon Winner: redstar1, 32hrs 18mins 22secs"

Not only don't people know how to get in, they don't know how to get out either.

Comment

Connecting....

Disconnected.

Connecting...

Disconnected

cIV list: cheats
      Now watch this drive!

Comment

Connecting....

Disconnected.

Connecting...

Disconnected

You are connecting only to apolyton.net, aren't you?
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Some good reasons to join #apolyton:

10:08 -!- goatse-cx is now known as www-goatse-cx
          10:08 * ari watches www-goatse-cx warily
          10:08 < www-goatse-cx>
          10:08 -!- notdubyaeither is now known as stimulation
          10:09 * OctavianX begins to be slightly disturbed...
          10:11 -!- stimulation is now known as sorry_octy

10:38 -!- MZ is now known as MistressZen

20:54 < LuY> does anybody play civ2?
          20:54 < ari> Obviously not
          20:55 < ari> Nobody has every played Civ2
          20:55 < ari> If you think anyone has ever played Civ2, you are or have been hallucinating
          20:55 < LuY> ¿?
          20:55 * GeminiRai nods in agreement with ari
          20:55 < GeminiRai> You are obviously very mistaken. Have you considered asking your doctor for hard medication?

21:35 < NuclearisWinterius> hmm, It seems you are having dehilusions of comedy...
          21:36 < GeminiRai> Perhaps
          21:36 < GeminiRai> But I ain't takin no pills.
          21:36 < GeminiRai> Unless they're GOOD pills

20:08 * NuclearisWinterius slaps opdaway around a bit with a large trout
          20:09 -!- opdaway [~dwyerowen@82-36-92-149.cable.ubr04.harb.blueyonder.co.uk] has left #apolyton []
          20:10 < ari> Now look at what you did
          20:10 < Zephyr> nasty
          20:12 < NuclearisWinterius> hehe slapped away!!!
          20:12 * NuclearisWinterius rulezzz!!!
          20:12 < NuclearisWinterius> I AM THA BOSS!!

04:48 -!- Omega_Zero [~Java_user@syr-24-58-53-188.twcny.rr.com] has joined #Apolyton
          04:49 < Omega_Zero> hello
          04:49 < Panzer32> hey O_0
          04:51 < Omega_Zero> join us.....join us......join us.......
          04:51 < Omega_Zero> good bye
          04:51 -!- Omega_Zero [~Java_user@syr-24-58-53-188.twcny.rr.com] has quit [Quit: Leaving]

23:26 < Frozzy> Woohoo!
          23:26 < Frozzy> Poly is down!!!
          23:26 < ari> Rejoice
          23:26 < Frozzy>
          23:27 < ari> :riverdance:
          23:27 < ari>
          23:27 < Frozzy>

19:59 * SteerpikeSister dies
          20:08 * NuclearisWinterius burries SteerpikeSister's body in a shallow grave
          20:10 -!- SteerpikeSister1 [~Java_user@dial81-131-167-11.in-addr.btopenworld.com] has joined #Apolyton
          20:10 * SteerpikeSister1 dances
          20:11 < NuclearisWinterius> Hmm, I really shouldn't have ahd all that beer
          20:11 < SteerpikeSister1> why?
          20:12 * NuclearisWinterius notices his eyes must be tricking him... there canŽt really be two SteerpikeSisters in front of him
          20:12 < SteerpikeSister1> the other one is a ghost
          20:12 < SteerpikeSister1> waiting for ping timeout
          20:12 < SteerpikeSister1> otherwise we might gang up on people
          20:12 < NuclearisWinterius> I see...
          20:13 * NuclearisWinterius calls in a priest to exorcise teh ghost
          20:13 -!- A_Priest [crono_thes@200-98-103-248.tlf.dialuol.com.br] has joined #Apolyton
          20:13 < SteerpikeSister1> it should bugger off on its own
          20:13 < A_Priest> Go away, evil ghost!!!
          20:13 < A_Priest> Go away!!!
          20:13 < A_Priest> Go away, evil ghost!!!
          20:13 < A_Priest> Go away!!!
          20:13 < ari> Try shouting in Latin
          20:14 < A_Priest> DOMINUS REX TREMENDUS FUROR!!!
          20:14 < A_Priest> FUROR DOMINE REX DEI GLADIUS REX!!!
          20:14 < SteerpikeSister1> big god king is angry?
          20:14 < SteerpikeSister1> my latin is crap
          20:14 < ari> How about driving it into somebody else's body?
          20:14 < SteerpikeSister1> lol
          20:15 < NuclearisWinterius> DOMINUS DEI REX GLADIUS FUROR TENEBRUM REX DEITY GAME
          20:15 < NuclearisWinterius> ops
          20:15 < SteerpikeSister1> is there no ping timeout on this channel?
          20:15 < SteerpikeSister1> bugger.
          20:16 < A_Priest> yes there is, but it takes time
          20:16 < SteerpikeSister1> ahh.
          20:16 < A_Priest> FUROR DOMINE TENEBRUM REX!
          20:16 < A_Priest> ABUCACA DEI PLATYPUS REX
          20:16 < SteerpikeSister1> i'm used to the netgoth server. theirs is only 180 seconds
          20:17 < A_Priest> SteerpikeSisterium domine gladius Tenebrum dei somber
          20:17 < SteerpikeSister1> that sounds like an insult
          20:18 < A_Priest> Gladium dei Ping Tenemrums Ph33rium
          20:18 < A_Priest> oh damn I give up!
          20:18 < A_Priest> I'm going to become an orthodox priest, at least then I'll be able to marry a chick
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I'm going to become an orthodox priest, at least then I'll be able to marry a chick.

As opposed to marrying an altar boy?
            American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
            I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
            Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
            XGalaga.

Comment

apolyton.net is a server? I had no idea... I'm an idiot, but why would I want to chat with anyone here?
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Some good reasons to join #apolyton:
                Collected over the course of the last 16 months, this is the sum total of our comedy efforts
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Sad, isn't it, Wombat?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Connecting....

Disconnected.

Connecting...

Disconnected
                    is it "/server apolyton.net 6667" or "/server irc.apolyton.net 6667"?
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

I remember being there for almost all of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

is it "/server apolyton.net 6667" or "/server irc.apolyton.net 6667"?

apolyton.net 6667

Comment

There we go, took long enough.
                          cIV list: cheats
                          Now watch this drive!

Comment

*bump*

Comment

I'm wondering if redstar is dead or something, nearly 3 days straight of idling...

Comment

Working...
                              X