Office Temperature; What Is The Ideal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70-75 F is my optimal temp.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The colder it is the faster and more energy efficient all electronic devices will run. The energy efficiency is outweighed however by the energy used to run an AC if the temperature requires lowering, however.

Since the human brain also is an electric device, the lower the temperature the better you think and the less sleepy you get.

While we're talking electric devices, any lights, machines, or electronics will raise the temperature significantly, especially if in a small place. Incandescent lamps are 85% heatlamp and 15% lightlamp. Flourescent tubes are much more weighed towards the light end. Halogens really heat up a place.

The fatter someone is, the colder the temperature needs to be to achieve same optimal conditions.

Also what people are wearing has an effect. A lot of office A/C wars break out between men wearing full suits (optimal temperature: ~15-20C) and women wearing dresses (optimal temperature: ~18-23C)

Proximity to AC vent also makes a big difference, as do windows facing south. People working near a wall will have temperatures closer to that of the outside depending on the environment.

In all but the most extreme temperatures (<15C or >25C) AC as a whole is a bad idea. Additional temperature optimization is outweighed by lack of fresh air and oxygen content. Open the darn windows and turn on a fan or put on a coat. Can't open windows? Crappy building.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
        The colder it is the faster and more energy efficient all electronic devices will run. The energy efficiency is outweighed however by the energy used to run an AC if the temperature requires lowering, however.

Since the human brain also is an electric device, the lower the temperature the better you think and the less sleepy you get.

While we're talking electric devices, any lights, machines, or electronics will raise the temperature significantly, especially if in a small place. Incandescent lamps are 85% heatlamp and 15% lightlamp. Flourescent tubes are much more weighed towards the light end. Halogens really heat up a place.

The fatter someone is, the colder the temperature needs to be to achieve same optimal conditions.

Also what people are wearing has an effect. A lot of office A/C wars break out between men wearing full suits (optimal temperature: ~15-20C) and women wearing dresses (optimal temperature: ~18-23C)

Proximity to AC vent also makes a big difference, as do windows facing south. People working near a wall will have temperatures closer to that of the outside depending on the environment.

In all but the most extreme temperatures (<15C or >25C) AC as a whole is a bad idea. Additional temperature optimization is outweighed by lack of fresh air and oxygen content. Open the darn windows and turn on a fan or put on a coat. Can't open windows? Crappy building.
        interesting . . . .
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

As long as the icicles on the ceiling aren't dripping all over my computer, anything is fine with me.

Comment

Have you ever seen pictures of the Liquid Nitrogen CPU cooling and overclocking system?
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

the men with suits should take off their jackets while inside.

The optimal temp is 70 to 74 degrees.

Any less and you get chilly if not doing anything. Hey I'm ideal weight, it doesn't take an ice cold office to keep my cool.
              Last edited by Dis; August 13, 2003, 00:05.

Comment

I like about 21 C during the day, and 15 C during the night..... I think its better to work when its cooler rather than warmer, I can't concentrate if I'm sweating (like right now)

Comment

Thanks for pretty much all agreeing with me.

Today it started at 21C (OK I suppose) but ended up at 26C by the time I left ( not really OK).
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

My office keeps the temp at 72 degrees which makes sense since everyone sits in their cubicals all day.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                    X