Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain the college credit system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually writing this from a computer in

The Milton S. Eisenhower Library
    3400 North Charles Street Baltimore,
    Maryland 21218

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

We don't get grades. We get a class of degree at the end (1st, 2:1, 2nd, 3rd). All of it rests on final exams, nothing on work throughout Uni. GRE is a US Graduate test isn't it? I liked doing the SATs, so I presume like much harder version of SATs or SATIIs?

I mean, say I get a first, and a decent GRE. Would I still have huge odds of getting in? I remeber applying to Uni, and even with straight As, I would estimate my odds at about 10-1 of getting in (there were 28 applicants and 2 places at interviews, of which 90% would have straight As). Is it that great grades and you walk straight on to any course, or is it still a lottery?
      What are you going into?

GREs come in two parts:

1) General GRE (like advanced versions of SAT)
      2) Subject GRE (testing you on knowledge acquired in course of undergraduate studies)

Subject GRE is generally more important. I got a 910 out of possible 990 in mine, placing me in the 91st percentile of physics test-takers that time around. Most good places insisted on a 700 or better on the subject test.

Most places also insisted on Bs (3.0) or better, and recommended 3.5 or better.

Again, those are minimum requirements (in other words they just laugh at your application if you don't meet them).

I don't know how your grades work. What percentage of a class will get a first, second, third?

Lack of distinguishability of students from their grades will mean that grad schools will rely more heavily on recommendations and GRE scores, along with possible interviews for certain schools.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What do you think of Maryland?
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          What are you going into?
          If tomorrow (results day) goes well, Trinity College, Oxford.

those are minimum requirements (in other words they just laugh at your application if you don't meet them).

I don't know how your grades work. What percentage of a class will get a first, second, third?
          Across the country, about 10% get 1sts. At Oxford about 20% get firsts, about 50 get 2:1s IIRC. To put it into perspective better. A first from Oxford will get me onto grad school at almost any Uni here (might be a lottery for Cambridge or London, but Oxford, and almost all others, would let you straight on with it). A 2:1 will be enough for most, and for most professional jobs, but I would probably have to do a masters before doing a PhD.

Lack of distinguishability of students from their grades will mean that grad schools will rely more heavily on recommendations and GRE scores, along with possible interviews for certain schools.
          Yeh, I want to be interviewed, since then they get a better idea about me. I happened to meet a Yale alumni for when I applied for Undergrad study, but otherwise an interview would have been hard

Thanks for the info
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

xposted for monolith

It's hot and humid.

I'm still a bit shocked at "roughness" of some neighbourhoods (appearances only, so far). Buildings boarded up, etc.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

If tomorrow (results day) goes well, Trinity College, Oxford.
              I meant what subject
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I gots a friend from UCDavis going to Yale for her masters.

just thought I'd share

Also, there are agencies that can convert degrees and grades given to other national standards. Thus, if you got a 1st in something at a certain school they can tell you what you GPA would have been and what type of degree you would of gotten for American standards. Not sure of those agencies are called, but most university admissions web pages make reference to them...
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I meant what subject
                  Economics and Management. Probably doing Game Theory or International Macroeconomics and trade for postgrad. Was thinking of applying to Yale's International Economics Masters, but doesn't count towards PhD, so might skip it.
                  Smile

Comment

For those interested in comparing university costs, I paid €80 to be a student at the University of Gent this year.
                    Long live Belgium!
                    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Damn euro's being one better Though if you count government support, I'm paid to go to Uni, through an 'administrative error' that I said I was at uni for 24 weeks a year (normal is 30) and they seemed to give me enough money for 34
                      Smile

Comment

Is that also how you got a loan of no less than £4250? Personally I have no idea how I could spend that much money for a normal student life. (Well I could always find ways. )
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                        X