Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tech question (about harddrives)

Ok, I need your input on somthing.
    Pretend for a second you are putting a computer together for a friend.
    Athlon 2400
    Radeon 9200
    512 megs DDR ram
    Windows XP

Now as far as Harddrives all you have is a 30 gig 5400 speed. (10.5m real slow)
    And the other is a 15 gig 7200.

I was thinking I should make the 15 gig the master and the 30 gig the slave. Put the OS and the games (There will never be more than 4 games installed on the system anyway) and everything else on the 30.

How would you guys do it?
    " Conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the essentials of patriotism." - Emma Goldman

William Seward Burroughs
    February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.

That sounds good to me, from what I've been able to ascertain.
    Why games on the master though.
    Wouldn't that kind of, in a way, defeat the purpose ?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

With a system like that it's a shame to use these drives, spend a few $$$ on a new, big, fast one.
      -

The primary master should be without a slave though IMO. So make them both masters and attach the CD when needed. That's what I do. (and check your cables too.)
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Nothing like creating a pain-in-the-ass.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Unless they've changed stuff over the years, two devices on one IDE cable will both transfer information at the speed of the slowest one.

SP
          I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

The bus speed is the same, but that's still much faster than the physical operation of the drives.

New large drives are cheap.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Is the answer bigger hard-drive just part of the question asked?
              Having the OS on a seperate smaller drive is not rare.

Comment

Faster HDD as master, slower as slave, if possible, get new disks, but still, even 15 will suffice for like you said, 4 games, and presumably basic office work. If you want mp3s and movies, forget it unless you get a bigger (60+ gig) disk.
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

With a system like that it's a shame to use these drives, spend a few $$$ on a new, big, fast one.
                  Agreed. I've got 220gbs on a computer with 800mhz, damnit.

Make the faster one the master, slower, slave. Just like everyone else in the thread said.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

For you experts, is there a speed and difference between Fat32 and NTFS? Also can you expect better performance if you use a larger cluster size such as 32KB rather than the standard four kilobytes?
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Seems awfully small HDs? You need at least 120 gigs worth of space these days. So you can write many many documents.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Ned, Smaller cluter usally is better, less waste.
                        -

No 'real' notable speed difference between NTFS and fat 32
                        -

Only one drive can communicate over a single cable at one time, therefore having two will slow your system down.. (sometimes alot if you're moving big files)
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Hm, as I said before, a HDD that rotates faster doesn't automatically makes it a faster HDD. You need to look at the transfer rate (no, not 133 or 100 or whatever the speed your EIDE is at).
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

True, but bigger drive => newer => (usually) faster.

Comment

120Gb!!! I have 30 and I still have plenty of space.

Comment

Working...
                              X