Best Ever Movie - Round One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those old movies suck!

Sure they were great in their day, but they just don't hold up over time. Too old fashioned for me.

Casablanca just can't compare to Dumb and Dumber

Comment

Diss, Casablanca wasn't a comedy. You'd have to compare Dumb and Dumber with some of the old comedy classics, like It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming, Blazing Saddles, and maybe even some of the Marx bros films like A Day at the Races. But yes, Dumb and Dumber was a great movie, as was Something About Mary.

Comment

I enjoyed the movie, Something About Mary, but I never bothered to check out Dumb and Dumber -- I was turned off by its previews.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

ZOOLANDER!!

Also, Shanghai Noon, Something About Mary, Dumb and Dumber, and Fight Club!
          -30-

Comment

Man, over a hundred years of movie history and only 10 points? Cruel...

My favourites probably won't make it to the next round so they all get 1 point. Ici les points de Hueij...

Sunset Boulevard (1)-- Gloria Swanson's magnificent come-back

Niagara(1)-- Marilyn should be in any top ten list, Niagara can be replaced with any of her movies but I picked this one because of the way she sang that song

Way out West(1)-- Same as above about Laurel and Hardy, this time because of Hardy's dance and the song "Blue Ridge Mountains Of Virginia"

The Fall Of The House Of Usher(1)-- Poe, Corman and Vincent Price. And IIRC the debut of Jack Nickolson

Snow White(1)-- The first of the full-time animated films and still the best ever made. If only Uncle Walt was still alive...

The Big Sleep(1)-- Oh man, Bacall and Bogart. Having seen (and read the book) this one countles times, can anyone explain the plot to me?

The Shootist(1)-- End of an era... And with Bacall as a bonus

Things to Come(1)-- I really love to see how they pictured the future in the 1930's. We would live in a gorgeous world if only they were right...

8 down, 2 to go...

Casablanca should be in here, Metropolis (the original, not the coloured version with Queen's soundtrack ), The Day The Earth Stood still and...

Gone With The Wind(1)-- There's really not anything to add to what's already been said about this. Seen it more then 20 times on tv and video and only once on the big screen

Plan Nine From Outer Space(1)-- Can't help it, I really really love this one. It may be the worst movie in history but by making it Wood really showed us what movies are about. Not the box-office but trying to translate what's in your head onto the screen... Ed Wood, this post is for you...
            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
            And notifying the next of kin
            Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

Gone With The Wind(1)-- There's really not anything to add to what's already been said about this. Seen it more then 20 times on tv and video and only once on the big screen
              Excuse me -- but Gone with the Wind?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Excuse me -- but Gone with the Wind?
                You really expect me to reply?

Have you ever seen it?
                Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

You really expect me to reply?

Have you ever seen it?
                  I read the whole book over three years ago.

You really want to discuss the historiography with this historical fiction novel/movie?

Comment

Mr Fun, rent Dumb and Dumber

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                      Mr Fun, rent Dumb and Dumber
                      No thanks -- I usually have good taste when it comes to movies.

Comment

Pity. Your loss.

I'm dying for a ***. Anyone got an extra?
                        -30-

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin
                          Pity. Your loss.

I'm dying for a ***. Anyone got an extra?
                          I didn't know you're visiting England.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                            Star Wars Part I - 1

You can't really mean The Phantom Menace, can you?
                            hahahahaha, because it goes so well with all the other classic movies I listed

I meant the first one made...... (now edited)

Thats what I get for doing this while drunk haha

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

No thanks -- I usually have good taste when it comes to movies.
                              You could have fooled me...
                              Once again...

Comment

You can take the Fool out of London, but you can't take London out of the Fool!
                                -30-

Comment

Working...
                                X