ramblings of a malcontent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ramblings of a malcontent

It is amazing how quickly perception of one's existance can change, and how one's mistakes never fail to come back and haunt them. Hapiness is substanence in and of itself, but without it, the soul surely withers and dies. What then is happiness, and how can one lose it? Happiness is a way that one perceives their surroundings, their enviroment. A happy person will walk outside on a scalding, sweltering day, and think to themselves, "What a glorious day, the warmth of the sun on my skin is rapture," whereas an unhappy person will immediately complain about the heat.

Happiness, however, is a funny thing. It is vexing and fickle. A smile, a laugh, and even joy itself are contagious. Even seeing someone laugh of delight can bring a smile to the gloomiest of faces happiness is like a virus, born by the air, which can easily infect all but the most pestilent of hearts and minds.

Why then are so many people unhappy? While happiness is a virus, born and spread easily enough, it lacks firm persistance. It is fleeting, and can be stolen away by the hurtful words of any emotional theif. Bliss evaporates in an oven of hate.
    -----------------------------(second post)---------------------------
    Where does this hate come from? How does this vicious cycle begin? One must take responsibility for their mirth, and seek it proactively, using light-heartedness to battle misery and disappointment. One must make decisions with the best intentions, for they will return to you.

Failing to do so gives the seed of hate a chance to blossom in your soul, withering the flowers of happiness and joy, a pestilence that is inescapable. The problem here is that hate is not so fleeting as happiness. It is consuming, burning emotional fuel and spreading to others as a blaze in a forest.

----------------------------(third post)------------------------------
    The bane of joy can be as simple as one dose of hate, whereas the cure to loathing is quite harder to find. When hate consumes all of oneself, it spreads to others. To further explain, one can only hate all of oneself; after they get to that point, the fire of hate does not stay constant, it searches for new fuel, and will accept any reason it can find to show disdain for anything it can classify. This is why labels are dangerous. Giving oneself a label is an invitation to be plagued by hate and those consumed by it

----------------------------(fourth post)------------------------------
    Why then do we label ourselves? Why will a man label himself as gay? Why will a black man try to find a politically correct label like african american? A large portion of africans are not black. if they come to the US are they african americans too? Creating a label for oneself, whether it is politically correct or not, is a tributary to the river of hate flowing through mainstream society. I think the movie bulworth said it best, "We all just need to fvck each other till there aren't any more lines."

I apologize for the multiple posts, and the unintelligible stream of thought, I was just typing as it came to me.

My main point, and final comment is this. Make the choice to be happy, and depend on as little as you can to do so. Sometimes drugs are necessary, but depression is habitual unhappiness. Breaking it is just like breaking any other habit. And most of all, do everything you can to stop the spread of unhappiness. It may sound cheesy, but then again, it may be the answer to all the world's problems

(edit--condensed posts into one)
    Last edited by Kaak; August 9, 2003, 18:36.
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Because not all of us can afford the happy drugs.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The problem is that depression is a highly contagious disease as well. Stay too long around an unhappy person, and it begins to rub off.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Other than in cases of extremis, Happiness is a habit, one that should be practiced constantly. Too many people focus in on the few things that are wrong rather than the many that are right.

Comment

I think there are two types of happiness...

Immediate which is "hey I got money, possessions, drugs, women, big house, nice car etc". As we all know, that stuff is rather volatile.

Then there is "greater happiness", which is like your karma/mind/soul. I'll say no more, thats all determined by each person.
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

--condensed to first post--
            Last edited by Kaak; August 10, 2003, 01:53.
            "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Last edited by Kaak; August 10, 2003, 01:54.

Comment

Last edited by Kaak; August 10, 2003, 01:54.

Comment

Religiously, happiness is becoming closer to God.

Scientifically, happiness is chemical reactions.

Metaphysically, happiness does not exist.

Existentially, happiness is accepting nothingness.

Comment

Don't Worry Be Happy

Comment

Go to a search engine and type in "philosophy".
                      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
                        Go to a search engine and type in "philosophy".
                        well if you want true happiness you should type in.....

better not post it here

Comment

Re: ramblings of a malcontent

Originally posted by Kaak
                          My main point, and final comment is this. Make the choice to be happy,
                          Lots of people have valid reasons to be miserable. Should the child abused by her father make the choice to be happy? Should the farmer watching his fields whither because the local water supply is being syphoned off for a resort make the choice to be happy?

Pain is useful. It tells you to stop doing something that is bad for you. The problem is most people don't understand the source of their emotional pain, thus they cannot do anything about it.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

pain is different than hate, and is completely apart from happinness. A person can be both pained and happy, or pained and loathful.

Comment

I truelly believe isolating technology and the lack of family structure makes people unhappy.

That is my theory of why so many people in the U.S. are unhappy.

As for myself? well I was unhappy for a while.

but lately I've come to peace with my shortfallings. I realize there are some things in life I will never be able to do.

I have found balance in my life. And for the most part I'm content.

Comment

Working...
                              X