Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Examines Nuclear Options

Everyone:

I found this story while perusing the raw news wires at work earlier tonight. Per my occasional custom, it's posted below for your reading pleasure. After you're finished reading, feel free to contribute to this thread as you see fit.

North Korea threat makes Japanese think the unthinkable: Going nuclear

By YURI KAGEYAMA
    Associated Press Writer

TOKYO (AP) — Just a few years ago, talk about possessing nuclear weapons would have been the pinnacle of taboo in Japan, the only nation to suffer atomic attacks.

But the nuclear ambitions of neighboring North Korea now have this nation thinking the unthinkable, even as it marks the anniversaries this week of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings — should Japan have its own atomic arsenal?

‘‘People are clearly waking up to the idea,’’ lawmaker Shingo Nishimura says of the new willingness to debate the issue. ‘‘They feel something is wrong with Japan.’’

Nishimura was forced to resign as a vice minister for defense back in 1999 just for suggesting Japan should consider going nuclear.

Now he’s a popular opposition lawmaker who gets to air his nuclear views on prime-time TV talk shows.

Yasuo Fukuda and Shintaro Abe, two prominent ruling party politicians and top advisers to the prime minister, are among other leaders who have broached the once-shunned issue within the last year, asserting that Japan has the right to bear nuclear arms.

‘‘Japan must start saying right now that it might go nuclear,’’ said Tadae Takubo, professor of policy at Kyorin University. ‘‘For a nation to entirely forsake nuclear weapons is like taking part in a boxing match and promising not to throw hooks.’’

No polls have been done that weigh public attitudes to going nuclear. But any such move would likely meet powerful resistance. Along with a strong anti-nuclear bloc in the ruling party, all major opposition parties are against it.

The raging firestorms, charred bodies and bulbous tumors are etched into the collective consciousness of generations. Japan’s post-World War II constitution renounces war.

Just this Wednesday, marking the Aug. 6 anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba reminded a crowd of the ‘‘blazing hell fire’’ that left 140,000 people dead or dying, and called all nuclear weapons ‘‘utterly evil, inhumane and illegal under international law.’’

At the same commemoration, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi affirmed Japan’s policy banning the production, possession and transport of nuclear weapons.

‘‘Our country’s stance on this will not change,’’ Koizumi said. ‘‘We will do our utmost to advance the call for smaller nuclear arsenals and nuclear nonproliferation while working toward ridding the world of nuclear weapons.’’

North Korean ambitions

All that could change, however, if North Korea ups its atomic ante.

Vice President **** Cheney speculated in March that Pyongyang’s ambitions could trigger a regional ‘‘arms race’’ and that ‘‘others, perhaps Japan, for example, may be forced to consider whether or not they want to readdress the nuclear question.’’

While a nuclear-armed Japan might deter a possible North Korean attack, it would likely worry China and could change the U.S.-Japan alliance, which for decades has centered on Japan’s reliance on the U.S. nuclear umbrella.

This month, The Shokun, a major right-leaning magazine, gathered essays from more than 40 prominent writers to debate the issue.

Even journalists with dovish reputations said the option was a valid card to play for political leverage, not only against North Korea but the United States and other nations. Some questioned whether Japan was ready for the responsibility; others preferred Japan to get a missile defense system.

Almost all were united in saying there is no harm in discussing a nuclear Japan.

‘‘If people had voiced such opinions a few years ago, they would have been branded weirdoes,’’ said Hideo Hosoi, editor in chief of The Shokun. ‘‘We’re starting to be able to talk about it in a rational and normal way.’’

Still, Japan’s postwar pacifist roots are well ingrained, and some even see its lack of nuclear weapons as its best defense.

‘‘All we can do is pray there’ll be no nuclear attack,’’ says Hiroyuki Ito, a cab driver. ‘‘But would anyone shoot an unarmed man?’’
    The part that piqued my interest was this: "Even journalists with dovish reputations said the option was a valid card to play for political leverage, not only against North Korea but the United States and other nations. ..."

If this attitude becomes ingrained, Japan would be wise to avoid any nuclear ambitions, no matter what North Korea does. Heh. Like that guy said at the end of the story, who would "shoot an unarmed man?" But if Japan gets nukes and couples the capability with the idea of political leverage over other nations ... well, Japan might find out that such leverage isn't always what it's cracked up to be. Nah. Better to be protected by America's nuclear umbrella — perhaps even its anti-missile system, whenever that gets up to snuff — than to go ahead with a nuclear weapons program.

I mean, c'mon, what are the odds someone's gonna pull a Poland on Japan?

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Trend is clear. Everyone wants nukes and no one gives a flying f that they can't have them. I guess rules and regulations are made to be broken. If they go for nukes, I piss on their tiny Tokyo.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Time to resurrect this Tom Lehrer ditty from 1965...

Who's Next
      First we got the bomb and that was good,
      'Cause we love peace and motherhood.
      Then Russia got the bomb, but that's O.K.,
      'Cause the balance of power's maintained that way!
      Who's next?

France got the bomb, but don't you grieve,
      'Cause they're on our side (I believe).
      China got the bomb, but have no fears;
      They can't wipe us out for at least five years!
      Who's next?

Then Indonesia claimed that they
      Were gonna get one any day.
      South Africa wants two, that's right:
      One for the black and one for the white!
      Who's next?

Egypt's gonna get one, too,
      Just to use on you know who.
      So Israel's getting tense,
      Wants one in self defense.
      "The Lord's our shepherd," says the psalm,
      But just in case, we better get a bomb!
      Who's next?

Luxembourg is next to go
      And, who knows, maybe Monaco.
      We'll try to stay serene and calm
      When Alabama gets the bomb!
      Who's next, who's next, who's next?
      Who's next?
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I defuse these bombs by pissing on them. That's how small they are next to me.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Well as the only victim ever of nuclear attack perhaps japan has earned the dubious right to possess these weapons more so than other nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
            Trend is clear. Everyone wants nukes and no one gives a flying f that they can't have them. I guess rules and regulations are made to be broken. If they go for nukes, I piss on their tiny Tokyo.
            Your Country also made an Arms Race,
            when the Russians got Nuclear Weapons.

So why do you deny the same right to Japan?

The Arms Race between Russia and the USA btw. also demonstrated that the Priciple of MAD is succesful
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

give everybody nukes. and when they get hit by one, let them retaliate.

there's no need for humans to be on this stinking hellhole anyway.
              B♭3

Comment

Rather than develop nukes, Japan ought to invest in a defensive system. A land based laser national missile defense could be very feasible given the small size of Japan. Then they could make lots of legitimate dollars exporting the defense system to other nations, such as the USA.

On the other hand, developing nukes would be a horrible idea. It would get Godzilla angry!
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                  Rather than develop nukes, Japan ought to invest in a defensive system. A land based laser national missile defense could be very feasible given the small size of Japan. Then they could make lots of legitimate dollars exporting the defense system to other nations, such as the USA.
                  Ah you mean,
                  they should be succesful where the USA failed,
                  despite Billions of Dollars getting from the Government into researching such a System,
                  and despite especially the current american Administration being very eager to develop it
                  (and only getting their best experimental Missile Defence System to work sometimes under absolutely idealized and unrealistic experimental conditions )
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

This is what you get when you don't deal with threats when they emerge.

Sometimes I wonder if we should have left it up to Patton and MacArthur after the war.
                    -rmsharpe

Comment

The main immediate consequence of Japanese nuclear ambitions is the balance of power in the region. It would be hard to imagine China not having some kind of response to a nuclear Japan. The political fallout could rock the region into instability, gravely effect the world economy, and even lead to war.

It is a very bad idea for Japan to go nuclear. It is also a very bad idea for DPRK to go nuclear. We all must proceed with extreme caution to reasonably difuse this situation.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I can't blame them. As a member of a country with lots of nukes, who am I to judge?

And it does in fact increase leverage in negotiations. And it does earn more respect. Look at India and Pakistan for example.

They haven't actually used those nukes, but they get more respect for having them.

This is why everyone wants them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                          I can't blame them. As a member of a country with lots of nukes, who am I to judge?

And it does in fact increase leverage in negotiations. And it does earn more respect. Look at India and Pakistan for example.

They haven't actually used those nukes, but they get more respect for having them.

This is why everyone wants them.
                          Sadly true. However, being a member of a country that posseses nukes does not preclude your right to a voice on proliferation. The consequences of unrestrained proliferation are just far to great.
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            give everybody nukes. and when they get hit by one, let them retaliate.

there's no need for humans to be on this stinking hellhole anyway.
                            I take it you're a wee bit depressed right now about the state of human affairs, hmm? Been there, done that, likely will be there again in the future. But I've learned that a good way to rebalance oneself is to — for me, anyway — listen to music, stare into a gorgeous night sky, read a good book, and look into the eyes of pure innocence: those of a newborn, whose life is only just beginning, and whose possibilities are unlimited ...

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I take it you're a wee bit depressed right now about the state of human affairs, hmm? Been there, done that, likely will be there again in the future.

not general human affairs. just human affairs re: ne asia, because discussion is dominated by idiots who have no idea about what that entire region's like, politically or socially, as well as the fact that the entire region was quite well ****ed over/raped by the west in their crazed drive towards modernization, trampling over everything that stood in the way of progress, leading to the occupation of the peninsula and its subsequent division, to the creation of a communist china and other such things.

jesus, i sound like a donghak revolutionary there.

in any case, the "feminine" east has been ruined by the "masculine" west, and we need to fix it, but it's now so twisted that it's a ****ing gordian knot.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X