The best stand up comics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best stand up comics?

I just saw Eddie Murphys RAW tape from 1987 and it was absolutely hilarious. I kept laughing for the whole 90 minutes so hard that I had to pause the tape every now and then so that I wouldn't miss out anything. It was BRILLIANT!

So, I'd like to know other people too. It's a plus if it's celebrity like Eddie Murphy, so I know who it is.

This must be availabe on videotape, or DVD or whatever so I can get it.

Suggestions?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Lewis Black is just awesome. He came to my school and did a show last year and I was laughing my ass off the whole time.

Comment

Lewis Black? Never heard of.. but then again he doesn't have any tapes or DVDs out, does he?
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Denis Leary
        Robin Williams
        Dane Cook
        Carlos Mencia
        Gabriel Iglesias
        Steven Wright
        Mr Black
        Richard Pryor
        Eddie Murphy
        Steven Wright
        Dave Chappelle

and my favourite of ALL TIME:

Bill Hicks, the greatest preacher of our time.
        Last edited by st_swithin; August 9, 2003, 20:28.
        -30-

Comment

Most stand up "comedians" are way too vulgar to be funny IMO. At least to a grown up audience.

Comment

Ooo, I forgot one more:

Mike Wazowski!

I didn't get his stuff until I was about 8 or 9. Have fun storming the Cassells!
            -30-

Comment

THe only familiar name is Robin Williams..... :hmm:
              In da butt.

Comment

Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, George Carlin, Gallagher, Robin Williams. Not neccesarily in that order.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

What can I say? My choices come down to Comedy Central, the Discovery networks, or anything else on TV, and I simply go for the most intelligent programming I can find.
                  -30-

Comment

I love vulgarity.

I love Bill Maher and Dennis Miller as many of you know.

My favourite of all time is George Carlin

I also love Chris Rock.

Ellen Degenneres is pretty funny. 2 other women I like is Rita Rudner and that one chick, damn I can't think of her name for some reason. She got in trouble for doing something inappropiate with her adopted children.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                      Ellen Degenneres is pretty funny. 2 other women I like is Rita Rudner and that one chick, damn I can't think of her name for some reason. She got in trouble for doing something inappropiate with her adopted children.
                      That'd be Paula Poundstone. Janeane Garofalo was also really funny when she did stand-up, but I don't know if there are any tapes of that.

I'd agree with pretty much everything on here (except Gallagher, who's just Carrot Top with a hammer), but especially Richard Pryor and Dennis Leary. Actually, old (mid-1960s) Bill Cosby is really funny, too. Oh, and, believe it or not, Woody Allen. I was once listening to his comedy album while driving cross-country, and had to pull over because I was laughing so hard.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                        Most stand up "comedians" are way too vulgar to be funny IMO. At least to a grown up audience.
                        Try an old Bill Cosby stand up act - they were really funny and clean.

Comment

Bill Cosby. Dana Carvey is hilarious. Kevin James is great too. He does a mime of a woman shopping for the perfect greeting card. You will literally be rolling on the floor laughing uncontrollably.

Does any watch Last Comic Standing? Ralphie May is amazing.

"Chimps in tuxedos are funny; Chimps in tuxedos on rollerskates are funnier; Chimps in tuxedos on rollerskates chasing midgets are the funniest."

He also did a bit on the Iraq war:
                          " Hell yeah, I want cheap oil. Light' em up! Light'em up!"
                          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Bill Bailey
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Louis Black has two cds out, End of the Universe and the White Album. i like the former much better.

Chris Rock is excellent; Dennis Leary can be good too.

George Carlin, Robin Williams, and Bill Cosby are good too.

Margaret Cho can be funny, but she's often a bit too vulgar, so she's funny only in very small doses.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X