Chess Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Online

I can play hearts, backgammon and all that lot online through some Microsoft thing on the computer, but I want to get decent at chess..

Any places where you can just go and play, real-time? No downloads please.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

You'll probably be limited by language, but many chess players in the Baltic play at www.chess.lt .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Do I need to learn Baltish first?
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

There's no such language .

There's an English button on the site, you know. Direct link is http://www.chess.lt/cgi_bin/default.asp?Lang=E .
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Every place I play real time needs some sort of download so that you can see the board and play in real time.

In real time, you can play at places like yahoo.com but I find the competition there to be more uneven.

My favorite is FICS ( Free Internet Chess Server) but again you need to download an interface to see the board.

If you decide to play slower, www.gameknot.com plays using a postal style ( and with nothing to download) where you have a number of days to make a move. I had about 20 games going at a time and I find that postal style chess does the most to improve your game since you have so much more time
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Seems difficult
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

There might be something at EA.com look in 'online games' 'board games' 'chess' (or something like that)

Comment

There's a chess championship at the Other Games forum.

Sir Ralph toasted Muxec in twelve moves, and the game between MtG and Jaguar Warrior has been quite entertaining. MtG has almost wrapped it up though.

Comment

Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Yahoo games.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Christ... other than a brief fling a couple of years back I haven't played since I was ten.

The endless run of books and openings gets me down.

I can still thrash my brother any day though.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

I never knew that chess was played on this site -- Ireally should check areas other than Smac and OT
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I second Yahoo.
                          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I third Yahoo. Thousands of players of every level. speed games, untiimed games, in between games. You will always be able to find the game you are looking for in a matter of minutes if not seconds.

Comment

Yeah, except the interface sucks, and it's Yahoo!! Yahoo!. Urgh.
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                              X