Would you be humble before God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you be humble before God?

I am a very open-minded atheist. I don't believe in any Gods or God, but I don't rule the possibility out. I often try to use my own understanding of logic and reason to contemplate what God might be like if he were a sentient being and the whole heaven/hell thing was true. Basically, I have a scenario in my head where after you are dead, you meet God. Upon learning that you are indeed talking to the almighty Creator, what would you do? Would you be humble towards God, know he could smite you or send you to eternal damnation? Describe a theoretical reaction you would have towards God if you were to meet him after death.

I would not be particularly humble or fearful in front of God. I would not bow and I would not worship God. And if God were insistent upon needing my worship, perhaps threatening me with eternal damnation, I would react with insolence and resistance. My attitude would not be combative, but rather, inquisitive. I would have so many questions for God. But above all else, I would treat God only with mutual respect. Upon meeting God, I would be respectful and courteous (as with meeting anyone), and I would expect God to treat me politely with a certain level of respect. A fair and good God (especially one who would put up with my cynical, skepticle BS) is one that would deserve my respect (which is earned, not given automatically in accordance with faith).

My concept of what is fair and good differs from the Biblical God. IMO, the Christian God, as described in the Bible and taught by all denominations, doesn't seem very fair or good. But then again, this conception is based upon the words and actions of his most "devout" followers.

So... Discuss... and please, for the sake of my thread, just assume God exists... and refrain from discussing such existence.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

If I were convinced that I was meeting "god" during my life or when it ends... I would do WHATEVER HE WANTED ME TO DO...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I believe that God exists. We should all be humble trowards God since he is the one that gave us all life. I often think about that it is very similar to parents. YOur parents gave you life and they take care of you for about 18 years so as long as you are with them you have to listen to them and respect them for the rest of their lifes. Same with God. God is also very patient I think with all mankind, and we should be humbe before him, since he is all powerfull and created the Universe. But if you think about it God also could not have created the Universe and gave humans life, and that is an act of love. Also if God could have made us all like robots that followed His every command, but instead gave all mankind freewill.
      Donate to the American Red Cross.
      Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Been doin' it for more than 6 years!
        HAVE A DAY.
        <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
        "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
        For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
          If I were convinced that I was meeting "god" during my life or when it ends... I would do WHATEVER HE WANTED ME TO DO...
          Good advise for Sava, .
          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

God took my Dog away when I was 6 and gave me an ugly mother and made me have 3 abortions. If God really did exist, why wouldn't he simply fix this kind of stuff for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
              What if it were something you considered to be morally wrong... like detonating a nuclear weapon in a major US city? IMO, God is only to be praised if he is truly fair and good. And I can't imagine a fair and good God ordering me to murder innocents. For such a God should not be followed.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

God took my Dog away when I was 6 and gave me an ugly mother and made me have 3 abortions. If God really did exist, why wouldn't he simply fix this kind of stuff for me?
                I can accept the notion that God allows evil to exist, because such evils are the creation of man. God gave us free will, so I will not hold the existence of OUR own evils against him. The notion that we have free will and that God cannot interfere with it is perfectly reasonable.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  What if it were something you considered to be morally wrong... like detonating a nuclear weapon in a major US city? IMO, God is only to be praised if he is truly fair and good. And I can't imagine a fair and good God ordering me to murder innocents. For such a God should not be followed.
                  What, GOd would never ask you to blow up a city with a nuke. God is fair and good.

Comment

It'd be a case of me saying 'No hard feelings eh?' and Him saying (if he IS all mercifull) 'No problem, have fun in Heaven'

And if I am right and he doesn't exist, then were all worm food and the conversation won't take place, either way i can lose .

Sort of like a reverse 'Pascals Wager'

Comment

If I met God I would ask him to demonstrate the trick of pissing up a rope.
                      American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                      I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                      Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                      XGalaga.

Comment

Your morals pale in comparison to GOD'S, I can only assume.

Or, you could just fight the power. I'm sure you'll win!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          I can accept the notion that God allows evil to exist, because such evils are the creation of man. God gave us free will, so I will not hold the existence of OUR own evils against him. The notion that we have free will and that God cannot interfere with it is perfectly reasonable.

Yes we all have freewill, and the evils that mankind should not be blamed on God. He expects us to do what is right, but does not forces us to do right. If we choise to do what ever we want and some evil results we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Comment

Whats with all the God threads round here recently anyhow?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_www

What, GOd would never ask you to blow up a city with a nuke. God is fair and good.
                              I was responding to Ming's assertion that he would obey whatever God said.

Zylka: My morals are my own... not God's... by giving us free will and the ability to learn, and distinguish between right and wrong, God has allowed us to discover our own morality. Our morals might clash, but it is wrong to say my morals "pale in comparison" to God's. But your sarcastic "fight the power" crap about my attitude is tiresome. If you are incapable of holding a serious conversation, go spam elsewhere.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X