Morale in the Military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morale in the Military?

Over the last couple years, starting in about '98, I have been reading and hearing of a general worsening of morale in the US military. From issues about peacekeeping usage, military cuts, and a major rift between soldiers and the brass/political policymakers. Granted, besides a few scattered articles, my info comes from 10 people or so in our nations military, so this might be bias, but has anybody else heard of this situation? I have really noticed it since the fall of Afghanistan and the begining of the Iraq mess.
    "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

I'm not really sure.

But morale was very low in the Clinton years. I'm not sure why. I guess they didn't like a democratic president . Clinton wasn't that bad though.

But we were going through some serious cutbacks at the time. But they weren't "firing" anyone. But they did allow for early retirement programs, and did a concerted effort to boot out the fat squids, and really pushed the phsyical fitness program.

Comment

A lot of people signed up for the nice government benefits thinking they would never have to serve in a war zone. Most of them got a rude awakening.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

rah

I recall a sign I saw on CNN... "One weekend a month my ass!"
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
          A lot of people signed up for the nice government benefits thinking they would never have to serve in a war zone. Most of them got a rude awakening.
          Very, very true. Reminds me of a commerical for a MTV troops diary. One of them said "I didn't join the navy to fight a war".
          WTF were you expecting?

BTW, one of my friends, a lifer currently in Afghanistan, says that many lifers are mad at a war (Iraq) that is seen as conducted by Bush as a personal vendetta, and the real battle for terror is being sidestepped.
          "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by gopher
            Very, very true. Reminds me of a commerical for a MTV troops diary. One of them said "I didn't join the navy to fight a war".
            WTF were you expecting?
            University vouchers or something ? I was under the impression that many people join the army to be able to study afterwards.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

WTF were you expecting?
              Maybe some soldiers have the ideal to defend the homeland when joining the military. I suppose not all soldiers like it to get send somewhere to fight a war for questionable reasons.
              If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

well I was in the navy. And we don't fight wars. We leave that for the army, marines, and pilots.

There was little chance Iraq could hit a ship with a missile.

In war, or not in war. My job in the navy was the same- to make the ship go through the water. The only differences are longer deployment, and lack of port calls while at war.

I didn't actually do any fighting. Though I should mention I was under the Clinton administration- and Clinton was nice enough not to start any wars.

Comment

Yup, my brother-in-law was about to drop out of the reserves when his third son was born because he now needed to be at home more (as his wife told him). He enjoyed doing the reserves and had been in it since he graduated from college a looooong time ago. He then realized that he stayed one more year his kids would qualify for the G.I. Bill. HA! He's spending that last year somewhere in the middle east.

It took two fights with my wife before I convinced her why I am not and she should not feel sorry for him. Though we both worry for him and our nephews.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

University vouchers or something ? I was under the impression that many people join the army to be able to study afterwards.
                    True, perhaps I was a bit unclear with what I meant .
                    Ok, lets try this: You joined the US MILITARY. Where your main job involved WAR and FIGHTING in various capacities. Joining the military assuming that you will go through it without being put in a position that involves those concepts is short-sighted, ignorant, and increadibly naive.
                    The National Guard I can understand the point a little more than the regular forces, but the same concept is applied.

Comment

Isn't Bush going to send the national guard over there now?

I personally believe the national guard should never be deployed outside the U.S. borders.

Comment

My neighbor finished his time in the Army about 3 months before the war started. He is a Ranger. Last time I saw him, about a month after Christmas, he was head out to reenlist.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

After the First Gulf War until recently, reservists were very very rarely ever called to active duty. That is a pretty long period of time. People thought it was a safe bet for money and benefits.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Isn't the Nat Guard now being considered for US peacekeeping measures or for occupation duty so the rapid deployment troops can head to Korea or Liberia or Columbia?

Edit: Rapid, instead of fast. Plus this run on sentance would make my grammer teacher back in school cry. But hell, I won't fix it, f**k her and her reflexive verbs.

Comment

Some of the guard already has to go overseas, regardless. I have a buddy in the NYS Guard, and he's required to go overseas for a year. He's trying to get Afghanistan for the combat benefits or Bosnia for something long and boring.

I suspect as the Guard is reorganized (NY is reshaping the Guard to serve as MPs), there may be more deployments on special missions.
                              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Working...
                              X