Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all the JEWS on Apolyton!!!!!!!

Have an easy fast tommorow!

For the Israeli's, have an easy fast er........ now? Should start in an hour or so in Israel right?

For those who dont know, tommorow is Tisha B'av(I suck at transliteration), which translates to the ninth of av, a month on the Hebrew calender.

Coincodentaly(or not) many great catastrophes happened to the Jews on that day throughout history, so it is a day of fasting/mourning.

I don't feast. But thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
      I don't feast. But thanks

Well you'll be in good company - i wont feast either
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

some israelis and other jews dont fast cause they are A. secular B. Not observant or C. Believe that the founding of the state of israel redeems the destruction of the temple commemorated by tisha b'av.

I see us as still living in very much an unredeemed world and will follow my usual practive of a partial fast. Tisha b'av, unlike yom kippur, is a work day, and i find it difficult to concentrate without at least some calories. Probably just bread and water for me though.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

but them two said they won't feast... there's a huge difference between feasting and fasting... they're opposites
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It was a typo Albert. At least I think it was....
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
              It was a typo Albert. At least I think it was....
              siro said he wont feast - an obvious typo - my response to him was a quibble on his typo.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                some israelis and other jews dont fast cause they are A. secular B. Not observant or C. Believe that the founding of the state of israel redeems the destruction of the temple commemorated by tisha b'av.

I see us as still living in very much an unredeemed world and will follow my usual practive of a partial fast. Tisha b'av, unlike yom kippur, is a work day, and i find it difficult to concentrate without at least some calories. Probably just bread and water for me though.
                hi ,

the C part is very small , ....

D , cause they have to work
                E , cause they are sick and need medical attention

and there are a zillion other reasons , ......

have a nice day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag

hi ,

the C part is very small , ....

D , cause they have to work
                  E , cause they are sick and need medical attention

and there are a zillion other reasons , ......

have a nice day

Panag you can fast AND work unless you're a wine taster or something like that. Tisha b'av has no restrictions on working IIUC, its not like Yom kippur in that respect.

Sick people are of course exempt from this and all other fasts, per Halacha (jewish law) HOW sick, and HOW exempt will depend on your local flavour of Judaism. My Conservative/masorti rabbi is perhaps on the lenient end.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Panag you can fast AND work unless you're a wine taster or something like that. Tisha b'av has no restrictions on working IIUC, its not like Yom kippur in that respect.

Sick people are of course exempt from this and all other fasts, per Halacha (jewish law) HOW sick, and HOW exempt will depend on your local flavour of Judaism. My Conservative/masorti rabbi is perhaps on the lenient end.
                    hi ,

it depends how you look at it , .....

btw , shall you do the same as Yom Kip when it comes to shoes , .......

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Seems to me that D goes pretty much hand in hand with A and B.
                      Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

I'm not a Jew, but I'm a little Jew-ish.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

club thread .
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I stupidly posted this a day early........ doah

Comment

All of my family is in France, I'm home alone until Sunday, so how was I supposed to remember??

Thank god for liberal judaism... its so much less work!!! :bouce:
                              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Working...
                              X