Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are ladies nights discriminatory against men?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are ladies nights discriminatory against men?

Okay I was watching some local news in San Diego, and these bunch of guys get together and file lawsuits against clubs in the downtown district that have ladies nights. From the letter of the law, you are not allowed to discriminate based on race, creed, gender etc.

While in theory they are discriminatory, those ladies night serve a very important purpose. They bring in women . What guy want to go to a club with a small selection of women in them? Although I think maybe these guys who filed this lawsuit are gay That would explain alot.

Anyways, ladies night bring in more ladies, which in turn, brings in more guys. It's a win-win situation.

And how exactly is it discriminating? They still let the guys in, they just have to pay more.
    yes
    52.38%
    no
    28.57%
    not sure, but I am sure they discriminate against bananas
    19.05%

i just get my female friends to buy me my drinks. so its all good.
    Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

What guy want to go to a club with a small selection of women in them?
      A small selection of naked women??

Its stupid, stop pandering to political correctness!! , or in this case rather a political correctness against political correctness.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

They are discriminatory against men, but it's their right to discriminate. I reckon you might be right about the guys bringing the lawsuit being gay. Why would any hetero male in their right mind be against girls getting in free?
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Methinks it's a backlash suit, a "We can't have our golf courses, you can't have your free drinks" sort of thing.

Comment

Ladies nights are a form of discrimination just like forcing black men to pay twice the regular price would be discrimination.

We agree the outcome is good (more women at the club ), but the method does suck.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I don't see how you could say it's discriminating to men when at the same time you acknowledge that it's purpose is to get more women there - for the the men.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I don't see how they could be discriminatory.

1) The policy is as much geared to attracting men as it is to attracting women.
                2) Men don't have to pay any more than they would usually do to attend the club. It's a bias towards women, not a bias against men.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

do i care about this..........
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

no
                    Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Okay, I'll grant from the start that the suit originates from guys with too much time on their hands and too little sense of what Ladies Night is for (my theory? Their Xboxes are broken). I'm just going to play Devil's Advocate here. The thing is, from a legal standpoint, the motive for Ladies Night doesn't matter. What matters is the outcome, which is a difference in the price for the same goods and services, based on the gender of the person purchasing the goods and services. So, here's the question:

If a downtown nightclub near you had a "whites night," during which white people got free admission to the club and cheaper drinks, would that be discriminatory? Because it's the same thing.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        What matters is the outcome, which is a difference in the price for the same goods and services, based on the gender of the person purchasing the goods and services.
                        If that's the important aspect, then we must consider hair salons, dry cleaners, etc. where a women gets charged more for the same service provided to men.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If that's the important aspect, then we must consider hair salons, dry cleaners, etc. where a women gets charged more for the same service provided to men.

However at those places women's hair and clothes require more work, therefore the higher price. There is an important distinction.

Anyway, these are private clubs, and thus they may discriminate based on gender (just like women's or men's gyms may).
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yes of course it is discrimination.

So long as there is a consistent attitude to this I don't mind. Inconsistency (ie, in my local gym, a women's only section, but no men's only section) is what bothers me.

* the women's section will soon be converted..then everyone can use it. Due to low usage.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                              Where I live, women definitely don't have the same service in hair salons. The service given to women is much more thorought than the ordinary service given to men. I find it somehow strange that the minimal service for women is not the same as for men though.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X