Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: God bless modern America!

Originally posted by Spiffor

Actually, these laws only prevent the creation of a nazi party, and IIRC of a communist party (don't know if they dropped them or not though). These laws are nearly useless, since far right racist and hateful parties are allowed to exist with a different name, and since the ex-communist party is a significant political force in the East.

BTW, there are laws limiting freedom of speech in France too: you can't call for racial hatred, nor encourage violence over a specific person. And just recently, it became forbidden to boo the Marseillaise

I believe that even the Nazi party should have a voice. Banning all displays of Swastikas, etc is simply a sign that Germany is SO scared of its past that it almost refuses to acknowledge it (ALTHOUGH if you say the Holocaust never happend in Germany, you can get arrested).

France too?! I thought France was a bit more progressive than that....
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: God bless modern America!

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
      I believe that even the Nazi party should have a voice. Banning all displays of Swastikas, etc is simply a sign that Germany is SO scared of its past that it almost refuses to acknowledge it (ALTHOUGH if you say the Holocaust never happend in Germany, you can get arrested).
      The nazi party has a voice, but under another name. Same crap, different day (fortunately, the German far right is extremely little supported in comparison with other European countries such as mine )

France too?! I thought France was a bit more progressive than that....
      Well, freedom of speech has never been the be-all end-all in French and German political traditions, unlike the American political tradition. Except for Le Pen, I've never seen someone complain about our anti-racist-public-comments law. Le Pen pretends it goes against freedom of speech, and at the same time wants to censor rap music and communist literature

I agree however that it is outright ridiculous to forbid the booing of the Marseillaise. It was a hardon of Chirac right after his reelection, and sadly it became law

I don't know the specifics, but it is very possible that there are limitations on freedom of speech in other Democratic countries. The faith in an absolute freedom of speech seems to be an American thing.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

USA!
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
        X