Iraq WMD inspections scandal in Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq WMD inspections scandal in Sweden

A scandal has arisen in Sweden the recent days, as news has come out that some researchers from FOI (the Defence Research Agency) visited Iraq in June, disguised as journalists. The intentions were of course good but:

1) The president of FOI was not informed
    2) The Swedish government was not informed
    3) They inspectors were there to give expert comments in a TV documentary made by the privately owned production company World Televison Networld. They were forced to sign a 5-year NDA (non-disclosure agreement) with the TV company after they arrived in Baghdad
    4) Their expenses was paid by the Swedish tax payers
    5) The Americans were not informed

Web-radio news in English (I haven't found any text link in English and I'm too lazy to translate one). The interesting part comes 5 minutes into the broadcast and lasts for 5 minutes.

Text link in Swedish for those of you who can read that or use translation software:

So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Swedish secret special operation.. cool!

In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

And the most important reason why it's such a big scandal...

(6) The team found credible evidence that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction programs at least to last year.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

(6) The team found credible evidence that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction programs at least to last year.

That's what the TV company says. The researchers didn't even bother to write an internal report before they started their summer holidays, and say they didn't find anything new.
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

If only our troops were as good as Swedish researchers, eh?
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Here's a rundown of the situation in English...

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Beware the SWEDISH!!!!

MY BUM IS ON THE SWEEEEEEDISH!
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think only thing why this is scandal is that their mission got public and so on..
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The real scandal is that they're actually Finns

Comment

The Swedes really screwed Scandinavia when they broke up the Union of Kalmar. Just think of how much more influential Scandiavia would have been if they had remained a unified kingdom,
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I personally don't find many wrongs in this story. I think it's pretty cool.

But I think the TV producers exaggerated the importance of what they really found, in order to sell their documentary to more broadcasting companies.

If I was a researcher (which I actually am, but in another field), I would at least write a brief internal report before I went to holiday, if I found something that was world news. These guys didn't.

Comment

7) Saddam was not informed

Comment

Does anyone have the names of these guys?
                          The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
                            Does anyone have the names of these guys?
                            Ola Claesson and Jan-Ã…ke Forsberg.

The scandal grows:

8) World Television Network seems to be a hoax. It is registered in Monte Carlo but has no adress or telephone there. The only phone number they have goes to the representative Maria Vera Cedrell's private apartment in Stockholm.

Comment

Working...
                            X