Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lightblue
    I am just hoping that Newcastle finally develops some defense discipline
    I've been hoping for that for about 20 years now. I think it might have something to do with the crowd who become irritated if they aren't attacking.

Anyway, I've got Given in goal, but then again I have the excuse of being a hopeless dreamer.

Anyway...

Ag's Mags

GK: Given (NC)
    D: Mellberg (AV) - served me well in the past
    D: Terry (CH)
    D: Riise (LI) - why anyone doesn't have him is beyond me.
    D: Ferdinand (MU) - why pay the extra 500,000 for O'Shea?
    M: Pires (AR) - a no brainer
    M: Inamoto (FU) - cash constraints
    M: Seth Johnson (LU) - could be his year
    M: Jenas (NC) - ditto
    F: Van Nistelrooy (MU)
    F: Shearer (NC) (C)

Subs.

GK: Gerrard (EV)
    D: Andrews (WW)
    M: Ince: (WW)
    F: Ostenstad (BR)
    Last edited by Agathon; August 5, 2003, 09:37.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Anyone who doesn't have Henry (top scorer two years in a row and by nearly 100 points last year, one of the top four goalscorers, top assists maker and top bonus point scorer) needs to explain themselves.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
          Anyone who doesn't have Henry (top scorer two years in a row and by nearly 100 points last year, one of the top four goalscorers, top assists maker and top bonus point scorer) needs to explain themselves.
          Simple: I couldn't afford the extra 500,000 pounds since I am up to the limit. I had to make several changes just to put out a full team.

I'm not going to go by last seasons results anyway. I doubt that Southampton will score as many goals, especially since they've just signed the Joker from Roker, Kevin Phillips for a measly 3 million pounds which shows their commitment to quality.
          Last edited by Agathon; August 5, 2003, 10:08.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

And they need to explain themselves even more if they don't make him Captain.
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
              And they need to explain themselves even more if they don't make him Captain.
              Wouldn't you rather have a really good player that stands out (like Shearer) rather than one among a gallery of stars (like Henry or VN), since the former are more likely to be picked out as having a good game (since there is less competition).
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Henry is my captain . Even though he's expensive, he's worth it.

I've also found that the 3-4-3 formation is best fantasy premiership . More than 3 starting strikers cost too much, and you usually don't want too many defenders. It depends on the scoring system, but MF that score goals are usually more valuable and, sometimes, cheaper.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  Henry is my captain . Even though he's expensive, he's worth it.

I've also found that the 3-4-3 formation is best fantasy premiership . More than 3 starting strikers cost too much, and you usually don't want too many defenders. It depends on the scoring system, but MF that score goals are usually more valuable and, sometimes, cheaper.
                  I thought about changing that, but forwards are too expensive.

It's a pity that Leeds are so ****e, I always used to have Ian Harte in my team, because he scored on a regular basis and took corners (assists) as well.

I have to say that Given is a good choice for a goalie since Newcastle's defence habitually allow him to be peppered with shots and he's bound to pick up tons of points just on saves.

Who's in your squad IS?
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

This is how it's done.....

1: Given

2: Mellberg
                    3: Woodgate

4: Barry
                    5: Geremi
                    6: Giggs
                    7: Scholes
                    8: Jenas

9: Henry (C)
                    10: Dugarry
                    11: Postiga

I'm not 100% sure about Woodgate now ... I'm tempted to have Glenn Johnson instead if it looks like he'll be Chelsea's first choice next year.

Also, if Francis Jeffers signs for another Premiership club I think I'll pick him instead of Dugarry .... maybe.

In other news.... Spurs have confirmed the signing of Freddie Kanoute and Sunderland have accepted a bid from Southampton for Kevin Phillips.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Wouldn't you rather have a really good player that stands out (like Shearer) rather than one among a gallery of stars (like Henry or VN), since the former are more likely to be picked out as having a good game (since there is less competition).
                      I'd rather have one that scores 270 points in a season than one that scores 190 but costs a bit less. That 80 points is like an extra player for 1.5 million.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                        Wouldn't you rather have someone who scores 271 points (542 as Captain) than someone who scores 167 (334 as Captain)?

(numbers are last year's figures)

Picking Henry in your team as Captain last season would have netted you about 200 points more than any other player in the game.

Comment

Yeah, what Mike said ... only I said it better.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH

I'd rather have one that scores 270 points in a season than one that scores 190 but costs a bit less. That 80 points is like an extra player for 1.5 million.
                            Assuming he scores that many this year. I'm picking Shearer and VN to have better years (especially VN). If they start off badly I'll trade for someone else.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Who's in your squad IS?

I posted it earlier... but it was all squashed.. so I'll spread it out .

GK: Friedel
                              D: Desailly
                              D: Gallas
                              D: Southgate
                              M: Flitcroft
                              M: Solano
                              M: Fernandes
                              M: Savage
                              F: Henry
                              F: Shearer
                              F: Sheringham

Subs: Jones, Kenna, Okon, McEveley (basically cheapies aside from Kenna)

Comment

He's been top points scoring striker 2 years in a row. Him and Pires I see as the only two must have players in the game. Van Nistelrooy I'd love to have as well, and will get him when I can afford him. Shearer will do well to get as many points as last year, he's getting on a bit and Ameobi is getting better and better.

I could be proved wrong though, as someone said earlier it's only about the points and that's why they are so vital to any team.

If I hadn't had Henry as captain last year I wouldn't have had a chance of winning a league. Same with Pires the season before. I have to assume it'll be the same this year unless things change. Also, look at Pires's scores once he came back from injury last season. He only really had half a season but still was in the top few midfielders. Arsenal score a lot of goals and Henry and/or Pires are involved in most of them in some way.

Henry had 24 league goals and 23 league assists last season (the number of assists is an all time premiership record 8 higher than the previous record). Pires got 14 goals last season despite being out for the first half of it, he also got 9 goals the season before and was the Premiership's highest assist maker.

If those two don't get long term injuries I'll be amazed if they aren't two of the top 4 points scorers in the fantasy premiership competition and I'd put a small amount of money on them being one and two. I think they are both very cheap for what you get personally.

But... the more people that don't start with Henry, the more his value will go up as the season goes on.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X