No announcement yet.

French vandalized British WWII graves..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French vandalized British WWII graves..

LILLE, France (Reuters) -- Vandals have smashed headstones and crosses at a cemetery for Commonwealth war veterans in northern France, in the latest in a spate of attacks on war graves over the last week.

A team from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission discovered the damage on Wednesday during a maintenance visit to the cemetery in Aix-Noulette, the resting place for mostly British soldiers who died during World War One.

Several tombstones and crosses were broken but there were no signs of graffiti. Police said on Friday that such acts of vandalism were common during school holidays and at weekends.

The incident follows similar attacks on cemeteries at Saint Aubert and Quesnel, where the remains of Britons, Canadians and New Zealanders lie buried. Six youths were arrested on Thursday for questioning.

President Jacques Chirac sent a letter of apology to Britain in April after vandals defaced the graves of British soldiers at Etaples cemetery in northern France with swastikas and slogans.

"This is sadly a part of the summer. It is a problem we have every year, but it was blown up this year because of the Etaples incident," said Roy Hemington, spokesman for the French area office of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

French War Veterans Minister Hamlaoui Mekachera, referring to the attack at Saint Aubert, condemned what he described as "an inadmissible offence" to the memory of foreign soldiers who fought in France in World War One.

The Foreign Ministry also condemned the vandalism and said it hoped the culprits would be found rapidly.
    Do any of our French posters know why some people protest in this way? Anyway, to all those French gendarmes attempting to catch the culprits.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

I suspect it's the same mentality that drives anti-Muslim and Middle Eastern attacks in this country. Young thugs + ignorance.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

again? didn't they do this before? "go home roas beef!"
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

It's all very confusing what's going trough the minds of the vandals. Why should frenchmen paint nazi symbols on graves from WWI. For someone whose head is not totally screwed in the wrong direction, it doesn't make much sence.

Comment

poly's dying. dp.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

they're french. they lose track of which war they lost to who. and apparently, which nations were on what sides.

Comment

btw, your thread title is all wrong, WWI not WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                they're french. they lose track of which war they lost to who. and apparently, which nations were on what sides.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Kropotkin, you think the most 'confusing' part is that they associated svastikas with WW I?

I think there may be one or two other points the vandals 'confused' as well.

Comment

bloody ungrateful frogs
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Shi: I have to take exception to the way you phrased the thread title. You make it seem like the entire French population committed the act. How about... "A few dumbasses vandalized graves in France."

CNN's article title did the correct thing by specifying the fact it was commited by vandals, and not by "The French".
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Winston: No, I didn't think that was the most confusing part. The whole idea is confusing for anyone with a working mind and primary school history.

Comment

I am pretty sure that a young dumb reading such a sentence would vandalize graves just because you said so.
                          Other than that, they are young dumbasses. In Britain, there are hooligans at football stadiums, in France they do other silly things. No need to point out the nationality. Most French would rather have those vandals sent to jail.
                          Clash of Civilization team member
                          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

It could have happened anywhere if members of the radical left built up enough 'courage'.

This is most likely an 'anti-war' message. War is bad you know.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                              bloody ungrateful frogs

French War Veterans Minister Hamlaoui Mekachera, referring to the attack at Saint Aubert, condemned what he described as "an inadmissible offence" to the memory of foreign soldiers who fought in France in World War One.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X