Mysterious Cancer Wiping Out Tasmanian Devils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious Cancer Wiping Out Tasmanian Devils

Strange. On a couple of different levels.

Thu Jul 31

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A mysterious cancer is killing Australia's Tasmanian devils, whose spine-chilling screeches, dark color and reputed bad temper prompted early settlers to give them their chilling name, wildlife officials said on Thursday.

The world's largest carnivorous marsupial is the size of a stocky small dog but has jaws as strong as a crocodile which allow it to eat up to half its body weight in 30 minutes. An adult can weigh up to 26 pounds.

On Australia's southern island state of Tasmania -- the only place where you can find Tasmanian devils -- they are the dominant predator but are now being stalked by a disease that has cut some population groups by 85 percent.

Wildlife officials said the Tasmanian devil (Sarcophilus harrisii) population peaked at around 150,000 to 200,000 in 1996 when the cancer first appeared, but they now fear the cancer may kill two thirds of the population by 2006.

The disease has spread widely in the eastern and central parts of Tasmania over the last two years, causing huge tumors that block the animals' eyesight, hearing or mouths, leaving them unable to feed and starving to death. "We suspect it spreads by biting when the animals quarrel or mate sexually," said Nick Mooney, a wildlife biologist with the nature conservation branch of the state's wildlife department.

The disease, thought to be caused by a virus, will not wipe out the devil as such diseases often spare a few isolated animals who reproduce and replenish the population.

"We may find there is nothing more we can do than isolate parts of the population," Mooney said.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

It'd be a shame if they went extinct, they're some animal!

Comment

Yes, they are very interesting.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Hell, we already lost the tasmanian tiger, a magnificent creature, and one of the top animals that, it is speculated, could be cloned to come back into existence again.
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

The tassie tiger is still out there!
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I did a report on it in 4th grade, I think I would know more about it than you...

"mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

I seem to remember the last known Tasmanian 'tiger' died in captivity in the 1930's.

It's more of a wolf than a tiger BTW, except for the stripes.

Comment

Its still out there - there are regular sightings.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Indeed. It has the temper of a wolverine, the temperament of a honey badger, and the disposition of a rabid wolf. It's safe to say that it's not an animal one should approach without a modicum of caution.
                  -30-

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin
                    Indeed. It has the temper of a wolverine, the temperament of a honey badger, and the disposition of a rabid wolf. It's safe to say that it's not an animal one should approach without a modicum of caution.
                    I swear I know that girl. What's her name again? Avoid before coffee definitely. Not a morning person.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

She's confusing the Tasmanian Tiger with Buffy.

Comment

I was sure the drop in population had something to do with them trying to find a north bound moose on a south bound track.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Too bad a deal can't be made to keep Tasmanian Devils, and put some people extinct.

Comment

Sikander, I DO believe I'm not alone here. What happened to not being 'awake' until the crack of noon?

At least I can limit it to 1 cup of coffee a day. How are those espresso enemas working out for you?

Slowwy, I've got a few suggestions if you've still got a loaded Winchester...
                            -30-

Comment

As a matter of fact...

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was Tazidude.
                              Guy that used to come here, but died of cancer.

Comment

Working...
                              X