memory traces, sense associations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory traces, sense associations

excuse me for the bad thread. You should have all learned the real language, finnish.

Ok, do you ever get sudden memories you haven't thought about in years from when you f.ex. smell something you haven't recently smelled, or hear something you haven't recently heard? Or see?

Well I bet you do, can anyone with knowledge of how brain and memory work give more scientific explanation how this thing goes? I find it interesting.

For example:
    Just this morning, I started going through my old mp3cd's, I mean very old like from the year of 98..
    There were some tracks I haven't heard since then, and that was cool, but then I heard many tracks I've heard in parties, and I just put on my headphones so I could listen to it real loud and pressed my hands tight to the sets, so I can hear the base good too. I broke in to sweat right away when I closed my eyes, and I could smell what it smelled like and feel like I felt then, and see some things too. Even few details, but not all.
    It was great, free party for 45 minutes .

So any of you can give explanation how this works?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Never happened to me.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Also it is interesting to see, that brain is able to hold information for so long for something that happened in one single night that wasn't that special, and that I couldn't have remembered it without associating with some feelings first that came by surprise. So, if it is triggered, it is able to fetch memories from deep deep down and accurate too.

I wonder how I can develop my memory, seems like it stores lots of things, I just need to know how to trigger them.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

come on Dashi .
        In da butt.

Comment

My experiences are strictly limited to television, where olfactory sensations are minimal.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well... get some experiences now then. Go skydiving! I dare you to go.
            In da butt.

Comment

I've seen it on TV, just as exhilarating.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

What did they say about these things in Discovery channel? How does the brain work in this situation?
                In da butt.

Comment

I don't watch stuff like that. I just watch sitcoms and reality TV. According to Fear Factor, cow brains taste really bad.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

But if I remember something from my school days, I believe that the neurons of smell are closely related with those of memory. Smell is often the most common initiator of nostalgia.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Pekka: That must have been a good hallucinogen you took. What was it?
                      American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                      I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                      Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                      XGalaga.

Comment

I have never took hallucinogens.
                        In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                        X