• Show
Clear All

• iFeminists.com

iFeminists.com
    July 29, 2003

Inside A 'Batterers Program' for 'Abused' Women
    Women Violating Women

by Nev Moore

When Hillary Clinton says it takes a "village" to raise a child, does this mean that snooping, nosey, prying and gossipy people will be surrounding all of us -- snoopers who are employees of the state with the power of police?

This woman wonders. I was forced by DSS to attend a "support group" for abused women, against my will. Or else I would never see my daughter again. That is what they told me.
    I realized that I never heard a facilitator encourage a woman to heal and move on with her life. They encouraged women to stay stuck in the victim mentality. I realized that, if women move on, they would no longer be clients. Each woman is worth many dollars to DSS and to Independence House. The more clients -- the more funding dollars.

Every week I received calls from our DSS supervisor, Larry Vadeboncoeur, chastising me for my "attitude" at the support group. He told me in a meeting at DSS that I would not get my child back until my attitude changed and I "processed my issues" and "did my stuff." What "stuff" was never identified, even after repeated requests from me for clarification. After all, I don't have a degree in psychology, so I don't understand these professional terms, like "client needs to do her stuff."

When I told Mr. Vadeboncoeur what went on in the meetings and that they were terribly depressing and distasteful, he snapped, "That is not what goes on at Independence House!" I didn't "share much" in the meetings because I felt nothing in common with the group. I said that I was forced to be there against my will and they needed to remove the word "Independence" from their title and stop handing out mugs that said: "Independence: the Freedom to make your own choices."

When I couldn't stand the breast-beating victim dance any more, I would offer small pieces of input. My feeling is that, if the guy was that bad, then good riddance to bad rubbish. By sitting in these groups forever, rehashing abuse, real or perceived, a woman keeps the wounds open and allows the man to still have power over her.

At that time I was unaware that all the considerable funding to "combat domestic violence" was channeled through DSS. To the tune of $13 million a year. The DSS worker brought a "domestic violence expert," Sue Ash, to my home a couple of times. (What are the qualifications to be a "domestic violence expert"?) I reiterated my story, over and over. I felt like I was being subjected to an inquisition, and was down to reciting name, rank, and serial number. They insisted that I meet them for coffee at a diner. [Maybe I'd crack.] The expert also met Tommy and me together. The social worker dropped me and my daughter off at our house. I believed at this point that I had done everything I could possibly do to make DSS happy, without knowing why I should have to do so. My children had never been abused or neglected by any stretch of the imagination, so why was my life being micro-managed by strangers?

Harassment Starts Again

But it didn't stop them from taking our children. The fact that I had applied for a restraining order helped them. That's why they wanted it.

*Nev Moore is President of Justice for Families, a group she founded to help parents who have problems with the DSS. They can be reached at (508) 362-6921 or P.O. Box 141, Barnstable, MA 02630. This article appeared on Shattered Men.

ifeminists.com is edited by Wendy McElroy; it is made possible by support from The Independent Institute and members like you.

The article

We've come a long way baby.....

“The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

Is this about Pamela Andersson???
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

feminazis should be tied to a stake and burnt as witches

females
      feminazis
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

amen mr. mitch.
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I once had a feminazi tell me that "Because ALL wars are started by males, all males should be shot and then world peace would ensue.".

I laughed
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I searched the entire article for what Hillary Clinton had to do with it, and found no link whatsoever. So why did the author feel the need for the unwarranted political swipe?
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I've just found a way to save a bunch of green on the national budget. I'd axe these social welfare programs like no tomorrow. I mean all they are is welfare for social workers and they don't ever produce any meaningful results.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                I searched the entire article for what Hillary Clinton had to do with it, and found no link whatsoever. So why did the author feel the need for the unwarranted political swipe?
                She is used to make a point, it was her quote after all.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  I've just found a way to save a bunch of green on the national budget. I'd axe these social welfare programs like no tomorrow. I mean all they are is welfare for social workers and they don't ever produce any meaningful results.
                  Same here, unfortunatelly, as with cutting subsidies, that is the best way to loose an election.

Feminists:
                  Feminazis:

Comment

I agree...
                    Feminists
                    Femnazis

although I think some people buy too much into such stereotypes. I doubt there are as many hardcore femnazis as some people might think.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                      I once had a feminazi tell me that "Because ALL wars are started by males, all males should be shot and then world peace would ensue.".

I laughed
                      What messed up logic. How do you shoot half the population in the world and not World War 3?
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

My wife is part of the "Femenist Movement", however shes not an extremist.

Most Feminists aren't extremists, but its just those that are....Scary
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

That was a totally silly and ridiculous jab at Hillary.
                          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                          Drake Tungsten
                          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                          Albert Speer

Comment

To be fair, I don't know how much this has to do with feminism. This woman's description sounds more like the mental health system in general - you're classified as someone who needs help, there aren't enough resources to actually help you in a meaningful way, so you're led through the motions with any annoyance at the pointlessness of the procedure being taken as "resistance" (which to be fair is probably better than letting people who really have problems slip through when you don't have enough resources to actually identify the difference)
                            Reading between the lines - why did this woman have her children taken away from her? It sounds like she had either had some sort of incident or something that could be perceived as one, and that these workers very reasonably made her actually take the course she was supposed to take before they let her loose with them again. Of course, I could be wrong - maybe the state takes children away for no reason these days, which would be disturbing.
                            "Although I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to hear me tell you how wrong you are."

Comment

maybe the state takes children away for no reason these days, which would be disturbing.

They create the reasons as does the CAS here in Canada. It is disturbing and the worst part is they have the power to do it without intervention...

Boris Godunov, Giant_Squid read on:
                              "Hillary Clinton stated openly in a speech in New York this summer that her goal was to have a social worker in every home, except of course her own."

Article
                              Parents Gather Against DSS In Candlelight Vigil On Cape Cod
                              State Condemned For ‘Child Abductions’

Tip of the ice burg, here in Canada no different...Been there did that...

Oh ya baby a long way....
                              “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                              Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                              X