Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabbed browsing in Internet Explorer

Now stop whining: http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

Tabbed browsing, mouse gestures, google bar support, ad blocker, popup blocker, skinning support, and it actually uses IE to render the webpages and it looks like IE.

You can even click links and drag them to a tab, and it'll open them there...

It's freeware, BTW.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

it actually uses IE to render the webpages

How is this a good thing? MSIE can't handle PNGs or CSS. It also misrenders loads of other things, but let's not get into that.

Tabbed browsing

Same problem as in Mozilla/Firebird. The tabs cannot be moved to the left (or right) side of the screen.

mouse gestures

Unlike AvantWhatever, this actually uses the standard mouse gestures for back and forward. Not in the same league as the customizable mouse gestures for everything in Opera 7.10, but better than some things out there.

You can even click links and drag them to a tab, and it'll open them there...

That's only useful because it won't let you drag and drop tabs around the way Opera will. Toolbar customization is also the standard clumsy affair rather than the joy it is in Opera.

Things I've noticed:
    -text zooming won't work on my site just as in standard IE
    -no support for LINK element navigation as defined years ago in HTML 4.01. I find the Search link especially convenient on Slashdot and use other buttons elsewhere.
    -Unsurprisingly, it lacks the Show Images and Author Mode buttons that I've come to depend on to make braindead sites behave the way I want them to. No FastForward either, but I can live without FF.
    -Why does it have separate buttons for Stop and Reload? Even friggin' Safari has caught on to that they are never needed at the same time and combined their slot.
    -the bundled Mozilla skin is extremely ugly compared to both actual Mozilla and Opera's excellent Mozilla skin that I am using right now.:P

In conclusion, it's the best Opera clone I've seen, but it's dragged down by the MSIE engine. I wish someone would wrap Opera's interface around the Mozilla engine (not that Opera's engine is bad, but the ad takes up some space I'd rather have free). I really fail to see the point to why someone would want to use a wrapper for a browser that will no longer be updated, but, hey, it's a free planet.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I just tried Opera. I must admit, it is the best browser out there right now.

Interesting.

How did this happen?
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

St. Leo: How can I customize the mouse gestures in Opera?
        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
        XGalaga.

Comment

Hooray for tabbed browsing!

I'll check it out if I ever get sick of Opera. Or it does something better than Opera. Opera. Opera Opera.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Go Opera!

Comment

/me also voices support for Opera

Comment

Opera
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

How is this a good thing? MSIE can't handle PNGs or CSS
                  ah yes? Well I use CSS and it works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by geeslaka
                    St. Leo: How can I customize the mouse gestures in Opera?
                    File > Preferences > Mouse and Keyboard > Edit (on the Mouse setup bit, not the keyboard obviously)
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

opera is quite thhe innovator, no?
                      B♭3

Comment

All this love of opera warms my heart.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                          How is this a good thing? MSIE can't handle PNGs or CSS. It also misrenders loads of other things, but let's not get into that.
                          It supports CSS and PNGs fine, just not alpha transparancy in the PNGs. Even then, as soon as you install QuickTime (which most people have), it takes over running embedded PNGs.

Same problem as in Mozilla/Firebird. The tabs cannot be moved to the left (or right) side of the screen.
                          This is a problem?
                          Even the people I know with Opera don't put tabs on the left or right...why would anyone do that? Text reads left-to-right, putting tabs on the left or right is just stupid...

As for why it's a good thing that it uses the IE engine -- 95% of web browsers are IE. Around 1% are Opera. Which do you think will work in most sites?

Rather than getting your panties in a twist over supporting paper W3C standards, why don't you wake up and realize the only standards that truly matter are the platforms the web designers make their sites for? In this case, it's IE all around.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Huzzah!

*OOM-pah-pah, OOM-pah-pah*

Libiamo ne' lieti calici,
                            che la bellezza infiora;
                            e la fuggevol ora
                            s'inebriì a voluttà.
                            Libiam ne' dolci fremiti
                            che suscita l'amore,
                            poichè quell'occhio al core
                            onnipotente va.
                            Libiamo, amore, amor fra i calici
                            più caldi baci avrà!
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Did anyone mention how great Opera is yet?
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X