No announcement yet.

US Consumer Confidence Down Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a graph on interest rates. Remember Snow said that deficit spending wouldn't cause rates to increase. WRONG! Duh! Bush is toast.
    Attached Files
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Here's a good pic of our financial wizard.
      Attached Files

Comment

Gee is Snow said that, hes a dumbass.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Snow is a dumbass... he's just another defunked supply-sider.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

All supply-siders are dumbasses.

Comment

Snow bankrupted CSX before going on to help Bush bankrupt USA.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You know Kid, this is what I hate about you Liberal, Commies, you never show the whole picture. What does it say in the first paragraph, let me quote for you:
                "Most economists still believe they will not douse a recovery in the broader economy."
                You economists are worse then the weathermen. Remeber when I said how the media can influence individuals with misleading information, congrats, you just proved my point. Nice going. Don't use that father thing you did with FEZ, I am older than you are.

Economy gets a yield sign

Higher rates will stamp out the refi boom, but most economists doubt it will crimp growth -- yet.
                July 30, 2003: 12:50 PM EDT
                By Mark Gongloff, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Though U.S. interest rates continue to rise, throwing cold water on the red-hot housing and mortgage-refinancing markets, most economists still believe they will not douse a recovery in the broader economy.

Not yet, anyway.

Treasury bond prices sank Tuesday, and their yields, which move opposite to price, soared -- the interest rate on the 10-year note, which forms the basis of 30-year mortgage rates, shot up to 4.45 percent, a 12-month high.

Though the 10-year note rate fell back a bit Wednesday, it's still at its highest level since last August and a whopping 1.3 percentage points higher than its 45-year low touched in mid-June.

The impact of higher rates has already shown up in mortgage activity. The Mortgage Bankers Association of America said Wednesday that demand for refinancings and loans to buy new homes both dropped last week, as mortgage rates surged higher.

"Is this going to send the housing market into contraction? No. It's a very healthy market, and interest rates are still historically low," said David Lereah, chief economist at the National Association of Realtors. "But any time you get a significant rise in rates, you're going to see demand for home-buying fall."

Refis as economic salvation
                Low rates in recent years have fueled a dramatic boom in demand for mortgage refinancing and new homes. Refis have helped cut consumers' monthly bills and allowed them to tap into the rising value of their homes. These factors have helped keep the sluggish U.S. economy from falling back into recession.

Related stories

Refi demand slides 33%

Consumers: the new skeptics

Are Americans too far underwater?

Housing's head of steam

So does the end of the refi boom mean the economy will sink? Not exactly -- but it does mean the economy will need to pass the baton on to another savior -- such as corporate spending and hiring -- if it's going to recover smartly from the recession of 2001.

According to research by Merrill Lynch senior economist Gerald Cohen, a big chunk of the money taken out in first-half refinancing hasn't been spent yet -- about $75 billion, according to his calculations -- and that money will likely be spent in the second half, helping support growth in gross domestic product (GDP), the broadest measure of the economy.

Together with tax cuts and child-credit tax refunds, Cohen and other economists hope this money will fuel GDP growth much stronger than the anemic 1.4 percent rate in the first quarter.

But Cohen also said that, if rates stay at their current level or move higher, then the positive refi effect will be virtually absent in 2004, adding, at best, 0.2 percentage point to GDP growth.

Already, some dampening of growth
                Some economists are worried that the recent jump in rates has already had a dampening effect on economic growth. After all, as recently as June, Federal Reserve officials were crowing about their ability to talk rates down to 45-year lows, making borrowing easier and adding some booster fuel to an economy sputtering toward recovery.

"Financial conditions clearly are quite a bit tighter than they were six weeks ago," said Rory Robertson, interest rate strategist at Macquarie Equities (USA). "I'd be dumbfounded if the Fed was not anxious about this dramatic rebound in yields dampening the rebound in the pipeline."

The appropriate level of worry may depend on the basis for the run-up in rates. If rates are soaring mostly on technical factors -- to put it simply, selling usually breeds selling as interest rates soar -- then they could be damaging to an economy that still hasn't found its legs.

On the other hand, if rates are rising mostly because the economy is getting better, then the weakness in the mortgage market will be offset in other areas.

So far, this latter view is the consensus view among economists, most of whom believe the economy is on the verge of an upswing.

"The housing market is likely to do less well, but that happens as resources are shifting back to areas where there's more remuneration -- such as manufacturing and services," said Kevin Logan, chief economist at Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein. "That's how the system works -- rising rates are a reflection of how the economy is going to do."

And there's no guarantee interest rates will only climb higher from here. If stock prices suffer their usual September/October swoon, or if the herd dynamic breeding the current bond selloff dissipates, or if the Fed finds a way to talk long-term rates down again, bonds could become attractive again.

"When the 10-year yield got to 4.4 percent Tuesday, I said this was probably a short-term buying opportunity and that we would see some correction," said Sherry Cooper, chief economist at BMO Nesbitt Burns.

And she was certainly right Wednesday -- but the bond market has been extremely volatile lately, and there's no guarantee bond prices won't go lower, and interest rates higher, on Thursday.

"Just as the market overshot on the downside in yield in May/June, the risk is that it now overshoots on the upside," said Robertson of Macquarie Equities.

Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

BTW, Sava, this came from CNN.
                  Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant
                    You know Kid, this is what I hate about you Liberal, Commies, you never show the whole picture.
                    Wait, what part of your article has to do with consumer confidence again? Oh, right, none of it.

You know what I "hate" about people like you, Defiant. You always spout crap from off the cuff. This thread isn't titled, American economy will continue to suck (though I think it will). It's US Consumer Confidence Down Again.

So stop setting up strawmen to try and knock them down.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Ahhh Genius Che,
                      What did KID attach at the beginning of this page???? Take a look, then you might understand, "Bush is toast" part.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                        All supply-siders are dumbasses.
                        All communists are dumbasses. 'Nuf said. Supply sided economics works, communism doesn't.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I didn't claim that the article said that the US economy would tank, only that interest rates are rising. The economy will surely tank in the next five years though, and it will not improve enough to create jobs before the next election. That's certain. I've yet to see any economist besides the Bush admin that claims that.

Comment

btw, I saw a piece on The News Hour last night that claimed that the real unemployment rate should be stated as 17.8% They count all working age adults that aren't working including people who retire early and such. That is the highest post-WWII level. It surpasses that unemployment rate measured the same way in 1983, the next worse.

Comment

Oh yes! Let's count all the people who retire early, by all means! If they are RETIRED, it means that they are no longer in the work force.

But....if it makes the argument look good, yes! Let's count them!

Maybe we can use that unemployment rate you guys quoted some months ago that counts all the folks who have started independent consulting businesses from home as "unemployed" too....and all those who are employed but are looking for better paying work. We might break 50% if we keep going!

-=Vel=-
                              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Kid,
                                I don't think you can predict what will happen in the next five months much less the next five years, no offense meant, but there are way too many unpredictable variables you can not adjust all of them accordingly.
                                This is what I am really afraid of: This winter gas and electric charges are expected to rise 40% due to a shortfall on natural gas from a greater proportion of power companies using natural gas instead of oil, coal or water due to its cleanliness. That could put an extreme damper on our economy. Now the gov't knows this and they are desperately trying to bring in natural gas (frozen) on ships because to build pipelines from the north is too expensive and time consuming.
                                This cost come right out of our pockets and would stop essential retail spending.
                                I got this information from the WSJ last week.

Comment

Working...
                                X