US Consumer Confidence Down Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious

Please don't call me that. I'm plenty old enough to be your father.
    Call you what? I am just stating the truth. You act like a kid. You have the mentality of one.

Defiant, most Americans seem to be doing that.. buying new cars.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I don't think Kid is overstating, what I am afraid of, is the media has more power than you think over our economy, they could incidentally cause a lack of spending. For instance, the news, "Consumer confidence drops an unexpected 7%", they don't go on to say, however, consumer spending is still high. Now alot of people get scared sh!tless when they read misleading indicators as such. Holy Crap I better hang on to my money because the entire economy is heading for the crapper. I truly believe economic news should only be stated for the previous year, never what last month did and surely not what is likely to happen, they have no clue.
      Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant
        I don't think Kid is overstating, what I am afraid of, is the media has more power than you think over our economy, they could incidentally cause a lack of spending. For instance, the news, "Consumer confidence drops an unexpected 7%", they don't go on to say, however, consumer spending is still high. Now alot of people get scared sh!tless when they read misleading indicators as such. Holy Crap I better hang on to my money because the entire economy is heading for the crapper. I truly believe economic news should only be stated for the previous year, never what last month did and surely not what is likely to happen, they have no clue.
        That would create more uncertainty and risk. It will never happen. Business likes to get info. Everyone does.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Kid,
          Don't get me wrong I understand why, its just sometimes misinformation is more dangerous than none, everything economically really does need to be looked at in the aggregate, not "what happened yesterday"
          Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Hey Kid, how was consumer confidence in the USSR?

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
              Hey Kid, how was consumer confidence in the USSR?
              Umm, the old soviet guard set the consumer confidence remember? Kid, you know the old soviet guard is not much different than you.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I gotta tell you, as a US Consumer, I think the economy's in the ****hole and China is going to launch a massive invasion force at us in 24 hours.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

and China is going to launch a massive invasion force at us in 24 hours.
                  We'll be bombarded with cheap party favors!
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                    I gotta tell you, as a US Consumer, I think the economy's in the ****hole and China is going to launch a massive invasion force at us in 24 hours.
                    The Chinese Navy will probably break down before it gets 100 miles out.. I love your humor..

As a blood-sucking capitalist, I am telling you the economy is just fine. It'll hit some obstacles, but those will be overcome.

Comment

Economics sure is messed up. We got one thread here and another there and another there about how people got to save money and spend less than they earn.

Then we got economists saying that consumer spending improves the economy. Maybe it does, if people are actually making more money than they are spending. What I don't see, though, is how deficit spending in personal finance is supposed to improve the economy of the USA. (It'll sure do much for East Asia though) Eventually people end up spending less because they have to pay off all their debt!
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Big ticket items are still selling due to extremely low interest rates. The thing is that the fed can only lower rates, what? 75 more point? And that does not set the rates for all toher things, since Banks are NOT obligated to keep going down. Many have started to raise rates again, if just a bit.

August will be an interesting month.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Absolutely correct, Smiley. IF real purchasing power is outstripping inflation (which it isn't), then personal deficit spending is fine, because as a percentage of total income, it's not "really" much of a deficit (if at all). An increase in consumer spending, however, need not come at the expense of ALL of a household's discretionary income (ie - if I have $400 bucks left over each month after paying all my bills, I can spend half of that, still wind up saving some, and thus, increase consumer spending).

But the two things are inherently at odds with each other. Consumer spending does nothing to increase your economic position in the game. That is done purely through investment and savings. Consumer spending helps the economy, sure, cos more people are buying more stuff, but none (or very few) things in the "consumer market" are designed with increasing value over time--exception, if a thing gets very old (antique cars, etc), yes....those will increase in value over time, but the people shopping for an SUV this month aren't thinking about its value seventy-five years down the road.

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I will puke the day I see a SUV venerated as a classic car.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                              Big ticket items are still selling due to extremely low interest rates. The thing is that the fed can only lower rates, what? 75 more point? And that does not set the rates for all toher things, since Banks are NOT obligated to keep going down. Many have started to raise rates again, if just a bit.

August will be an interesting month.
                              Yeah. Interest rates have gone up some, but it hasn't had a significant effect yet. August will certainly be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                                Economics sure is messed up.
                                Personal finance is not economics.

Comment

Working...
                                X