Karate vs. Kung Fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karate vs. Kung Fu

Although Im mainly wondering which of these two is better (and why you think so), as a sort of japanese vs. chinese thing, I am curious at which form of martial arts in general is favored and why?
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Ninjas use karate, right? or is is osme other form of japanese martial arts?

And what is that French martial arts developed by french sailors where they just use their feet?

and btw, my favored form of martial arts at this point is boxing (kick boxing), but i am greatly ignorant about other stuff too. So i would like to learn more before I explore any of my options more closely and hands on
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Kung Fu has better movies.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Ninjas use ninjitsu.

If you'er interested in kick boxing, look into Akido or Hapkido (Japanese and Korean kick boxing arts respectively).
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Kung Fu has better movies.
          And a better song.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Everybody wanna go kung fu fighting
            You know those moves are fast as lightening.

Or did you mean . . .

Hong Kong Phoey
            Never met a great guy
            Hong Kong Phoey
            Quicker than the human eye

Comment

Look into Kempo (spelling?) Karate, it is an American, Bastardized version of Kung-Fu that has a lot of Karate moves incorporated into it.

From what I understand is that Karate requires more strength than Kung-Fu... I would ask around to see what would be best for your fighting style choice and height/weight...

I thought Hapkido was more along the lines of wrestling...?

or is that jui-jit-su?
              Monkey!!!

Comment

it's called American Kenpo. Kenpo is about making the fight end very quickly.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think it is impossible to say which is beter.

I think to moves within one martial art, there will also be Blocks in another martial Art whichare well suited for Defense.

So if one Kung Fu Fighter conbats an Karate Fighter I think the winner will be the one who knows his Martial Art best and so is better able to counter enemy Moves with the tactically best moves his own martial Art provides.

After all the Techniques taught to you during Training are just Tools and the real art lies therein, to use the Tools for best effect
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

First of all, never, ever take Kenpo. I took it for about a year, and it was horrible.

As for Kung Fu, I have a friend who took Wing Chun once. Once I started doing Valetudo/Brazilian Jiujitsu/Muay Thai, I killed him every time we sparred. He would actually get pissed at me.

The French style of fighting is Savate, and I don't recommend this, either.

There are various forms of Karate (Ishin-ryu, Shotokan, Goju, etc.), but honestly, I wouldn't take any of them. Like the various Kung Fu styles, the Karate styles are much too limited.

If this is your first foray into martial arts, I would recommend starting off with some boxing, or, preferably, Muay Thai, and eventually get into Brazilian Jiujitsu. There are a couple of places here in Austin where you can go for both.

chegitz,

You mentioned Aikido and Hapkido. I can tell you definitely that Aikido is not considered a kickboxing style.

Muay Thai is generally recognized as the superior style of kickboxing.
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      Ninjas use ninjitsu.

If you'er interested in kick boxing, look into Akido or Hapkido (Japanese and Korean kick boxing arts respectively).
                      I thought Aikido was a martial art of pushing and shoving and grabbing, or something like that? anyway, i read somewhere the SEALs use some customixed form of aikido for their unarmed combat

Comment

cool, thanks DF, i was hoping youd poke around.

Muay Thai is generally recognized as the superior style of kickboxing.
                        is that what you were talking about the other day?

Comment

Kramerman,

SEALs use something called SAFTA, I believe. It's effective, but not something you would want to learn - it's effective from the standpoint of killing, but not conventional self defense.

is that what you were talking about the other day?
                          Yes.
                          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just like the drunken master form of fighting

Comment

When you talk about gongfu, you're actually looking at an entire class of martial arts. There are a lot of gongfu styles and many of them are very different.

Right now I'm taking mantis gongfu and Muay Thai kick boxing. The former is extremely good for grapples and trips and joint locks. The latter is much more a "keep 'em at arm's length and take out their pressure points with surgical hits" sort of style.

I've also seen tiger style gongfu (Nan Quan - southern fist) and that looks very interesting. Mantis and tiger are both quite circular in the way they work - you're usually circling your opponent instead of going at them head-on.

All in all, you might want to try a variety of them. And remember that no matter how good the style is, it basically boils down to how well your teacher can train you. That's much more important than anything else.
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X