X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolyton Science Fiction Discussion Group: September Votes

Please vote for only 3 books.

Here are the nominations.

Dune by Frank Herbert, nominated by JohnT.

More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon, nominated by Ajbera.

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami, nominated by Wraith.

The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card, nominated by Loinburger.

The Green Mile by Stephen King, nominated by Slowwhand.

Waldo and Magic Incorporated by Robert Heinlein, nominated by TCO*

The Many Colored Land by Julian May, nominated by Cruddy.

Rising Stars by James M. Straczynski, nominated by St Swithen.

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester, nominated by Mordoch.

Gypsies by Robert Charles Wilson, nominated by molly bloom.

The Science of Discworld by Terry Pratchett, nominated by St Leo.

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Buroughs, nominated by chegitz guevara.

Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress, nominated by dv8ed.

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider Robinson, nominated by Rex Little.

Wave Without A Shore by Cherryh, nominated by jon miller.

Great list of books, everybody!

*This is actually two separate novellas, "Waldo" and "Magic, Inc." If this gets voted for, we'll read and discuss both even if one is totally off-theme.
    Dune
    22.22%
    More Than Human
    3.70%
    Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
    1.85%
    The Worthing Saga
    7.41%
    The Green Mile
    1.85%
    Waldo and Magic Incorporated
    12.96%
    The Many Colored Land
    7.41%
    Rising Stars
    3.70%
    The Demolished Man
    5.56%
    Gypsies
    0.00%
    The Science of Discworld
    12.96%
    A Princess of Mars
    5.56%
    Beggars in Spain
    3.70%
    Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
    5.56%
    Wave with Shore
    5.56%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by JohnT; July 28, 2003, 22:16.

Sorry JohnT. Messed up. PM for you to explain.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Got your PM. I'll quote the relevant parts so there will be no *****ing later:

Hi JohnT

Sorry, messed up my vote. Only put one in for "Waldo & Magic Inc". Put another down for "Beggars in Spain" and another for "Dune".

Have actually read the first and third books, but it's been years. The middle one intrigues me.

So, Dune +1 and Beggars + 1.

Comment

Btw, if y'all can ocassionally please bump the thread when you vote, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Dune, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, & Callahan's Crosstime Saloon.

That's right, I'm not voting for my own nomination, not because it isn't good, but these intreigue me more. Especially Hard Boiled. I think it would be interestnig to the future from a non-Western point of view.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

DUNE!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

bumpilishis

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I voted Dune, Rising Stars, and The Worthing Saga. I'm leaning towards Worthing Saga as it's an OSC I haven't read yet.

Comment

Is Wave with Shore a sequel to Wave Without a Shore?

Comment

hmm

yah that shuld be wave without shore JohnT

there is no sequal

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

--"Great list of books, everybody!"

Just curious, though... why the star after my nomination? Your footnote only seems to apply to TCO's nomination.

--"Dune, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, & Callahan's Crosstime Saloon."

Are you sure you clicked in the right place? Hard Boiled Wonderland stands at 0 votes right now ^_^

Not that it matters. It looks like a two-way between Dune and The Science of the Discworld.

Wraith
                      Don't destroy the world in the first chapter. You'll need it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith

Not that it matters. It looks like a two-way between Dune and The Science of the Discworld.
                        No, looks like another contender is up there too. It's not mine, but TMCL is a fat book to understand in just one month.
                        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Dune.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
                            --"Great list of books, everybody!"

Just curious, though... why the star after my nomination? Your footnote only seems to apply to TCO's nomination.
                            I just cut 'n pasted the coding from a previous post and accidentally left the asterick in there. My bad.

Comment

Hmm, I voted for all three of the current leaders of the pack.

Go Science of Discworld, go!
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X