No announcement yet.

Need a 'hands on' guide to networking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a 'hands on' guide to networking.

I want to make a network between several computers in my brother's house.

I glanced in several books about networking and they all begin by presenting a huge theoretical chapter and almost no practical guidance.

I'm a person that can understand theory only after a little practice.

And anyway, I'm not interested in learning about the 'star' type network when all I want to do is hook up 2 computers running win2k.

Where can I find such a guide on the net?

check your PMs.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Try this

I haven't looked at it too much, but it might point you in the right direction.

Comment

thanks people

i'll look into to it with next sunrise ... (tommorow )

Comment

nothing easier than networking, at least up to 98, alas no experience beyond that here

Comment

You lazy no good .... !
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

no need for a guide, just get a crossover cable and two network cards and that is it...

if you want more than 2 PC's than a hub and straight trough cables and you are done... just plug them all in and that should be it... as long as you have win2K or XP - win 9x was a little messier business...
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

If it's just two computers just buy two cards and a crossover cable, theres nothing to learn

Though techically correct, a 'network' is a bit too a grand an expression for the linking of two computers;O)

Comment

post at the same time and the first sentence is exactly the same
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                    post at the same time and the first sentence is exactly the same
                    I didn't notice

Comment

you really could have asked me on ICQ if it only still worked for me

(<-- dangerous mix of 2nd and 3rd type relative clause.)

Comment

BTW, networking isn't as easy as those guys make it seem. you need to activate sharing of file info in roder to be able to discovered by another machine in the network, no matter if you actually share anything in LAN or not. at least this is in 98 and lower. sometiems we'd wonder why some guy can find the Quake servers but we can't find him, it was ebcause his file sharing was inactive. like a xenophobic computer.

Comment

I think he's going for more than two.. he said several computers, so I think he's not just bragging..

But yeah, you'll need a hub, some cables and plugs so you can make the cable go through all the computers, you should do this naked to get better results, and hub'em. Shouldn't be a biggie even with win9x, though you can encounter some unexpected problems (like always with computers). When you're done, you should have your brother naked as well, but no touching! Just take a picture and send here, you'll do just fine. Don't worry, it's all for the process of making this thing work.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Ecthelion, sure, and you can fiddle with those settings entering control panel -> network and from there on. Make sure you share, and have everything correctly set up in there.
                            In da butt.

Comment

well it starts with 2. more will later follow.

and it's 1:40 AM here so i'm definitly not going to start reading that.

Comment

Working...
                              X