No announcement yet.

Ctp2 Source Code To Be Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nah, they're just stripping the b1tching, name-calling, and other unpardonables.

See archives of Civ3 List for ideas of what to put in any Civ-like game… maybe at least we fans will heed our own advice.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Just out of curiousity, did you guys (st_swithin,Mr Ogre) use MS Visual C++ to code the game?

Comment

• What ells has activsion promised
        "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
        The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
        Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

• either

world peace and goodwill to all men

or

nothing

Comment

• // abolulutely fscken gigantic

you will be harbringers of change if this actually happens. beads around my neck i'm dancing with the orangutans of code!

hej da

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
              Nah, they're just stripping the b1tching, name-calling, and other unpardonables.
              Alas, that is not true. All the comments will be stripped, as Mr Ogre said here:

Here's an update. So far it looks fairly promising, but it still has to go through more people. The annoying part is that the person I've talked to would like all the comments stripped from the code to avoid releasing anything that might hurt Activision's image (most of the concern there is over potential remarks re Microprose and Avalon Hill left over from when it was Civilization: Call to Power) or anyone's personal feelings. I'm sad about that, because there are some funny ones in there, and it'll make understanding it all that much harder. But it's still better than nothing. There's little to no direct financial incentive in this for anyone, and the only alternatives are not doing it at all, or paying someone there, a lawyer most likely, to scan every single comment for legal ramifications, and it is a rather large code base. The whole "Civilization" thing on the first game was a very messy business, so while I'd be with you guys in thinking that concern is pretty silly, I think lots of things lawyers do are silly... until I'm court being grilled by one .

Comment

• We'll thats the first job then, re-commenting the code

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBaggins
                  Just out of curiousity, did you guys (st_swithin,Mr Ogre) use MS Visual C++ to code the game?
                  According to my PEiDentifier CTP1 is compiled by Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 and CTP2 is compiled by Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, however I have the feeling that I shouldn't trust it too much so confirmation is needed.

-Martin
                  Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• // <-- don't understand the problem

.. the offending comments are not in the interests of the outside developer anyway? unless of course they include valuable guides for the coder new to the project that would render it otherwise unreadable. can you flesh out the "unfortunately not" part??

Comment

• // win32 dependencies? //

how deep is the win32 dependency of ctp2? directx / draw / 3d / sound. is there any sense in considering a port to osx / linux?

de/

Comment

• CTP1 was ported to linux, so such a port for CTP2 should be possible, at least.

Comment

• well boys, my day just gets better and better. this will make many bearded dorks like me extremely happy. of course and fashionable tank girls on OSX...

Comment

• I haven't seen Barley around in a long time.

Oerdin, ive been playing multiplayer lost over recent months - played mostly against Toni, Quimby, Anton & Stephogun but those guys all stopped playing over the last month or so. Anyone who wants an multiplayer game send me an email, private message or post in CTP2 lobby.

Comment

• Oerdin, you going to the London meet? Im still not sure yet.

Comment

• Good news. I just hope they don't get rid of all the comments in the code. Uncommented code is arggg...
                                Clash of Civilization team member
                                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                                X