112 gripes about the French

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 112 gripes about the French

This book was originally published by the US military. It's got 112 statements that GIs often made about the French and answers to them.

Quite interesting. I wonder how many stereotypes about the French have their roots in the WW2 era.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Re: 112 gripes about the French

Originally posted by Stefu

This book was originally published by the US military. It's got 112 statements that GIs often made about the French and answers to them.

Quite interesting. I wonder how many stereotypes about the French have their roots in the WW2 era.
    Gory.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I wonder if there's a present day equivalent for Iraq.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

The French as a whole are not as "hail fellow well met" as we Americans are. Neither are the British, the Swedes, the Greeks, the Mexicans.

I love writing from this era, it dates so badly.

I wonder how many people in the US (or indeed, any country) have EVER said "Hail fellow, well met!"
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

70. "The French are not as clean as the Germans."

Perhaps not.

If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Why is this on a site devoted to pasta?

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                 The French as a whole are not as "hail fellow well met" as we Americans are. Neither are the British, the Swedes, the Greeks, the Mexicans.

I love writing from this era, it dates so badly.

I wonder how many people in the US (or indeed, any country) have EVER said "Hail fellow, well met!"
              Now why would you say that?

"The French reputation for gaiety was built on the fame of Paris as a gay city and on the French way of doing things."
              "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
              "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Working...
              X