How to make money last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make money last

I'm going to have to live at least next year with little less than 200 euros (or dollars) per month after rent. This includes everything from other bills to food and recreation. I guess I'll have to cut the bills down to 0.

So, how can you make money last? Tricks and tips are welcome. I remind you, that food in here is more expensive than most countries, and that everything else is also more expensive.

I have already figured out I need to start doing wine again, but it's only until I discover how to make excellent beer (yeah sure, like that'll happen).
    So that's one less problem to think about.

How you make your money last?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

200 after rent is fine.

You just can't go out to eat or see movies.

Rake in some extra cash as a tutor, if you have any knowledge at all.

I charged 15/hour and always had to turn away students. That extra cash really helps.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

give plasma
      donate to the sperm bank

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If you've got good friends then the inability to go out's not an issue. You can hang around with them. Play outside. Buy an N64 and games for next to nothing and play that with them. I reccomend Perfect Dark
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think tutors here can't make money (not sure). Also first year students can't be tutors (not sure).
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Just general tips how to make money last longer, so other people can benefit from this thread too.
            In da butt.

Comment

Stay away from whores.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Buy food in bulk if you can, and cook a lot. It might help to cook a big meal once a week, and save lots of leftovers, so if you get hungry, you got premade food.

Obviously, keep electricity and water consuption low, as well as other things like gas.

As for entertainment..figure out what places have free shows and such, and make use of them. parks and other public spaces will work just fine.

To keep your sanity, set aside like 10 Euros for some "big" entertainment or treat.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

fans are generally cheaper than air conditioners.

pinch every penny on grocery shopping. for example, if Store X sells Item Y for 95 cents compared to Store Y selling it for a buck 25, go to Store X whenever you need more of that item.

use public transportation. it's cheap AND you're saving the environment.

in fact, just walk to places if you can. it's free.

remember 200euros a month cuts it down to about 6 euros a day. can you live off 6 euros a day? think real hard.

also, try to save up for any possible emergencies if at all possible. a euro saved is a euro earned.

i'll think of some more as time goes by
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                    Buy food in bulk if you can, and cook a lot. It might help to cook a big meal once a week, and save lots of leftovers, so if you get hungry, you got premade food.
                    Good call.

Get a 5 quart slow cooker and cook up a big dinner on Sunday night. Vegetable soup with ground beef is awesome and should last for about 5 meals.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                      Stay away from whores.

Comment

gepap-- buy cheap **** in bulk. cheap bulk **** is better than no **** at all.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I lived for months on nothing but vegetable soup, brown rice, olive oil, and fruit juice.

cut my food bill by 75%

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            I think tutors here can't make money (not sure). Also first year students can't be tutors (not sure).
                            You don't sign through the Uni. You post ads on the boards around school.

You're a first year? Yeesh.

If you know how to play an instrument or speak a foreign language (other than the eternal Swedish thing I hear you Finns complaining about) you can give lessons in that.

Or get a part-time job. It's rough, but doable.

BTW, in general is University of Helsinki a well-regarded institution in Finland?
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Fortunately I've been learning some cooking in the last year, so I know some stuff. I'm not an excellent cook though, just know how to make basic stuff and spice them up a little.

Public transportation is not necessarily cheap here. In some cases it's cheaper to just drive a car. Funny, isn't it?

I have to live with 6 euros per day as I have no other choices. I'll make it, because other option would be crawl up and die.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X