Queer T.V.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queer T.V.

I watched a great t.v. show last night called "Queer Eyes for Straight Guys". It is a Bravo show that is making it's way onto network t.v.

It's about 5 gay guys (mostly flamers) who make over a straight guys home and look. They did a really good job at not going over board, in Ricky Lake-ish style, and stuck to the straight guys 'look', but 'straightened' it up without 'gayining' it up. Amesome show, made me laugh my butt off...

Just wondering about the name... why use "queer"? I though that was demeaning... Am I wrong about the word, or are they trying to change the connotation of it?

Anyway, great show, just don't know about the name.

Discuss.
    Monkey!!!

Why aren't you worried about the theme being demeaning, too?
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The word queer isn't demeaning to me, I think the show doesn't do much for the gay stereotype though.

I couldn't decorate to save my life, and I'm certainly not flaming.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think most of the reality shows are odd.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think that "queer" is the term being used by several gay-rights groups (or "queer-rights" groups), since it encompasses homosexuals, bisexuals, transsexuals, etc. It's a broader umbrella than the term "gay."
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

i think they're trying to do the same thing, in a sense, that some african americans have been doing to "retake" the word.
            B♭3

Comment

I think the funnies part of the show is that they find the biggest slobs in the world to make over

The guy last night was a painter that wore only overalls, hadn't cut his hair (or shaved/trimmed) in 7 years... Not even I would go in there.

Why aren't you worried about the theme being demeaning, too?
              That's a good question...

Me? No. I have no taste, if it wasn't for my wife I would still be wearing 5 different schemes of plaid every day

Yet, the whole show is based off of two stereotypes...
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Ah, here is where I remember reading about the new meaning for the term "queer." Apparently the term can also be used to encompass those who are "questioning."
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

It's about 5 gay guys (mostly flamers) who make over a straight guys home and look. They did a really good job at not going over board, in Ricky Lake-ish style, and stuck to the straight guys 'look', but 'straightened' it up without 'gayining' it up. Amesome show, made me laugh my butt off...

My friend doesn't have cable, and she luuuuvs the show, so she's made it known that she's visiting every week from now on to watch it.

I think it's really funny and a great spinoff from these type of shows on Home and Garden, etc., although I don't know if I'm in the target demographic. They keep advertising a new gay dating show during Queer Eye.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The show produced Bravo's highest ratings ever, competing ably with the major networks.

My roommate Dan was a PA on the show, actually. He said it was a lot of fun to film it. The PAs did a birthday gag for the producer (who's also gay) wherein they did "Straight Eye for the Queer Guy." The PAs are all teamster types, so they did the same five categories, except with "straight" themes. Dan was in charge of food, so he discussed the 5 food groups: Beef, Chicken, Sausage, Chips and Beer.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

"Beef, Chicken, Sausage, Chips and Beer."

Yeah, that's about right

I actually have to make a zuccinni thingy tonight for my wife... Vegetables, yuk!

I would like to see the role reversal, that would be a riot.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

The readoption of the word Queer by activistic parts of the homosexual community and the source of much of modern Queer Theory (big fashionable area of sociological/literture study at the moment) dates back to 1990 at least and the publication of the infamous Queer Nation Manifesto. Well worth reading, although the fury has somewhat abated since then.
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

haven't you guys ever heard the philosopher that is Homer Simpson speak????

'and thats another thing, thats our word (queer) for making fun of you. you can't use it yourselves....'
                          Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

That show is stereotypical and stupid... I would never watch it... geez... it just ensures that many people would continue using stereotypes toward gay people... I don't even fit any of those damn stereotypes.
                            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

We all know you're queer, Fez. There's no need to turn into Señor Diversión to prove your gay credentials.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X